Menu

What kind of healthy snacks do you keep in the house for the kids?

My kids will eat their weight in fruit, of course, and will eat certain veggies in the right situations (broccoli with butter, carrot/tomato/cuke plate with ranch dressing on the side, cauliflower with some melted cheese on top), but they're both going through a phase where they're hungry all. day. long. I want to get more protein-based snacks into them, because their snacks tend to be very carb-based, but I'm not sure what my options are. They don't like nuts, despite my modeling of a voracious appetite for almonds and cashews :D They like yogurt, but only sweetened, which is fine occasionally but not all day, everyday. They also LOVE cheese, but I wonder how much is too much there. Can anyone suggest some other things? I do try to pair protein snacks with a whole grain/high fiber component when I can, but I need some other ideas. I'm feeling very uninspired lately, foodwise :glare:

TIA!

Wow, your doing a great job with healthy snacks!! I'm very impressed - my kiddos can hang with yours anytime!!

For protein, mine like the individually wrapped sting cheese - I like that it's easy for them to go and grab from the fridge on their own when their hungry. Mine are also BIG yogurt eaters, especially my 3yo. If you don't like the added sugar, I buy a container of plain and a container of vanilla and mix 1/2 and 1/2; or I take plain yogurt and add a tablespoon or two of pure maple syrup for sweetness, then it's not the refined sugar. Those are our favorites :D!

If they like cheese, I'd go with that. Too much is a "bad thing" but it might help keep them from being hungry all the time!

I also always keep a big beef stick or summer sausage in the fridge. It does have some fillers and things like that, but the protein/fat helps stave off the hungries.

My kids will eat their weight in fruit, of course, and will eat certain veggies in the right situations (broccoli with butter, carrot/tomato/cuke plate with ranch dressing on the side, cauliflower with some melted cheese on top), but they're both going through a phase where they're hungry all. day. long. I want to get more protein-based snacks into them, because their snacks tend to be very carb-based, but I'm not sure what my options are. They don't like nuts, despite my modeling of a voracious appetite for almonds and cashews :D They like yogurt, but only sweetened, which is fine occasionally but not all day, everyday. They also LOVE cheese, but I wonder how much is too much there. Can anyone suggest some other things? I do try to pair protein snacks with a whole grain/high fiber component when I can, but I need some other ideas. I'm feeling very uninspired lately, foodwise :glare:

TIA!

popcorn, rice cakes, grahams w/pbutter or dipped in yogert, lots of fruit, cheese, ww crackers, grape tomatoes, raisens, prunes, seeds, nuts, ww bread w/pbutter or turkey or chs.

I just made a huge (triple) batch of very yummy granola bars with no processed sugars. Here is the link if you are interested http://www.joyfulabode.com/2008/04/11/homemade-granola-bar-recipe-no-high-fructose-corn-syrup-in-these-bars/

I never have all the ingredients this recipe calls for but use my own; flaxseeds, pumpkins seeds, bran, pecans, cocont, etc, etc, etc. I just roast whatever I have around with the oats.

I mainly just get an idea for the "sticky' part from this recipe, but again, I add peanut butter, etc to this part.

The kids loved them; one even said they are like candy; but ha, ha, so good for them....

My very much growing son loves oatmeal.... I know it sounds weird, but in the mornings if I make it, I make a ton extra and let him eat it all day long if he wants.

I almost completely stopped buying flavored, sweetened yogurt. I use strawberries, bananas, or whatever fresh and add honey to plain yogurt. The first time I made this they told me I should sell it...ha, ha!!

Hard boiled eggs are always good, easy, and cheap!!!!

I hope you get a big response to this thread because I am always, always searching for easy, healthy snacks for my children too. I knew they would grow fast, I just didn't realize it would be because they eat so darn much!!

e

Great lists so far. Nothing very exciting to add:graham crackers and milk, homemade yogurt with jam stirred in, homemade applesauce - just toss apples into crockpot, add sugar (or honey), cinnamon, nutmeg and let it cook all day. Cook longer and you have apple butter (My kids love this, where they won't touch store bought), scrambled eggs, pancakes with p.b. They also love homemade rolls (bread dough formed into loaved. I load it up with flax seeds, wheat germ and oatmeal so it's filling; nacho chips and cheese (Sams).

You're doing great!

My oldest is the one who can eat and eat. He also burns a ton of calories and is a stick. He works full time (in a manual job) and then does martial arts 3 nights a week and plays paintball on the weekend.

He eats soft tortilla shells and cheese -- a quesadilla, muffins I make and oatmeal packets. I know the packets aren't the best thing, but often he is in and out of here in a flash, so he needs quick things. I buy a box of regular oatmeal packets with no sugar and then a box of flavored stuff. He uses one of each. Sometimes I have a small pot of homemade oatmeal made for him when he gets home from work before he goes to martial arts. Sometimes he makes fruit smoothies. He also makes little english muffin sandiwiches in the toaster oven with turkey and cheese.

I also have low-fat mozarella cheese sticks, fruit, trail mix, yogurt, mini carrots, rice cakes and peanut butter, bagels or english muffins. All of the guys in our family are very thin, so I'm not too concerned about carbs. I also buy Kashi cereal bars -- when they're on sale.

My kids love apple slices with peanut butter....if I am feeling nice I may give them a small handful of chocolate chips.

My kids like California Rolls, we always have cut up colored peppers in the fridge and I try to have celery and carrots ready for grabbing. They do the string cheese thing too and we do mini trail mixes with things around the house.

Alison

My kids love ACTIVIA. I don't, personally, like yogurt, so I can't quite get this infatuation. My little guy has all sorts of digestive issues, so I think this is good for him. They will also eat those Lance peanut butter crackers. My dd likes string cheese. Other than that, they have fresh fruit. They are not big eaters. They probably only have one snack a day.

I just realized I never came back and thanked you all. You gave me a bunch of great ideas here, and I've already started incorporating them. I'd forgotten how much the kids like hard-boiled eggs, for example!

And emeraldjoy, those granola bars...oh. my. gosh. They are SOOOO good! As my Dh says, "That one's a keeper." Thank you for sharing!