Menu

Combing two kids... R&S or easy grammar

sunshineslp

I have a 2nd grader who I want to start some grammar with next year. So he will be in 3rd grade. Probably R&S or easy grammar. I'd love to go ahead and start my younger son with him, even though he'll only be in 2nd grade, that way they will be on the same course and so much easier to teach (with four kids). Is that a silly idea? Is a 2nd grader able to keep up with a R&S grammar or easy grammar? And if so, should I start at level 2 (grade lower than my oldest) and move slower or at level 3 and just trailer it to my 2nd grader? Not familiar with the differences in level 2/3 of R&S or easy grammar. Thank you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok, thanks guys:)  I completely expect grammar to be mom-led at this early age, but I'd like a program that will eventually be independent.  I love the concepts in R&S but I don't like the textbook feel of always having to transfer sentences to paper and copy everything down for the assignment.  I'd like a workbook type program for later years.  it sounds like R&S won't be that way.  so, maybe I will just begin Hake in 4th, because it looks like what I want.  and if I want to do SOMETHING for grammar in 3rd I might do sentence family or grammar land or something fun like that.  even easy grammar sounds like a gently introduction of grammar in 3rd.  does anyone have opinions on Hake?  can all the work be done in the textbook?  would a person be able to do 4th grade Hake and then maybe 8th grade and skip the rest?  I am aware there is a ton of repeat. 

Here's what I've always done with grammar and do now.

Cuddle up on the couch with even all of the kids if they want. The lil ones will pick up Sooo much to make down the road easier with them.

On the couch with FLL do the picture studies ( very good for early 'teaching' writing. Details .)

Do the picture studies. The daily scripted learning parts of speech.

Then: give each child their grade level Easy grammar books and explain at ones.

Find the pages you worked on in FLL , say nouns. Do those pages in easy grammar. I explain both to each different grade level child. Each year for grammar only becomes a little bit increasingly harder.

Look at online samples of both gr. Levels for your guys. You'll see what I mean.

I don't do the preposition cross out til I feel they are ready. If I have to. I will cross those out myself in their books then let them do the work.

We also make 'noun posters' . a nice craft to cement the parts of speech and ...fun :)

I read something from the author of ELTL . she said people ask homeschool moms further along....what is your favorite or best grammar curriculum. She says....the 3rd!!! Lol

So true. As they get older you can move them into Bob Jones or anything else more independent you want. Most h.s. I know will change curriculums as the kids get older and more independent .

I haven't used either of those, but I do have my 2nd grader and my Ker doing the same grammar together (they're also combined for history and science!).  We're doing First Language Lessons 1, and I really like it.  It is totally parent driven, but that hasn't been a problem because it only takes about 5-10 minutes total each day.  Of course, that may change as we move into FLL2 or beyond, so  I may need to reassess later.  But I think for the basics of early grammar this will be fine.

FLL does take longer after level 1. I use the combined book of FLL 1&2, then R&S3. R&S 3 will probably be too hard for the 2nd grader. I'd put them together for sure, but at the younger ones level. It won't hurt the older, probably rather help. I tried to make my 8yo do R&S independently! but he is not a careful enough reader to grasp the lesson on his own. So I do it with him, even doing most of the exercises orally. Then I give him the written work that only requires a couple words for the answer, sometimes just evens. There are worksheets, just not for every lesson. Haven't ever looked at hake.

FLL does take longer after level 1. I use the combined book of FLL 1&2, then R&S3. R&S 3 will probably be too hard for the 2nd grader. I'd put them together for sure, but at the younger ones level. It won't hurt the older, probably rather help. I tried to make my 8yo do R&S independently! but he is not a careful enough reader to grasp the lesson on his own. So I do it with him, even doing most of the exercises orally. Then I give him the written work that only requires a couple words for the answer, sometimes just evens. There are worksheets, just not for every lesson. Haven't ever looked at hake.

ok, thanks guys:) I completely expect grammar to be mom-led at this early age, but I'd like a program that will eventually be independent. I love the concepts in R&S but I don't like the textbook feel of always having to transfer sentences to paper and copy everything down for the assignment. I'd like a workbook type program for later years. it sounds like R&S won't be that way. so, maybe I will just begin Hake in 4th, because it looks like what I want. and if I want to do SOMETHING for grammar in 3rd I might do sentence family or grammar land or something fun like that. even easy grammar sounds like a gently introduction of grammar in 3rd. does anyone have opinions on Hake? can all the work be done in the textbook? would a person be able to do 4th grade Hake and then maybe 8th grade and skip the rest? I am aware there is a ton of repeat.

Sunshine...I think much of this can be later tailored to the child. Some have more needs. Some breeze thru it. Then offer more challenging curriculum wholly or in part.

One thing all my older 3 said when they took their first college encllol ( 1st college eng course for us.)

Mom. I'm so glad u taught me grammar.

But they use no grammar in college! Baha!

I said. You write dont you! Lol

Grammar is for good writing , sentence construction later.

My oldest said. Oh yea. ...lol

I have so much to add to all your helpful advice! I'm knee deep in LA as we speak. I will respond more later, but quickly:

I will keep LOE. I just haven't found a good replacement. So we will do foundations and essentials and then probably move onto SSS or Spellwell. I will maybe do FLL and WWE next year also (2nd and 3rd grade). Maybe I will try CLE at some point? Honestly I think I'll wait and see how everything feels. I WANT to like FLL but I also can appreciate how CLE would be able to be done partially independent, giving me time to work with my youngest kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1