Menu

GoPro Camera??

Allearia

I am thinking of a GoPro camera for ds14 and 11. For the past year, they have been meeting weekly with friends and filming a movie, though they don't really do anything with the video, just have fun filming. They mainly film at parks. I thought a GoPro would be good as it would be durable and they could clamp it different places or even wear it and get some fun action scenes. Would it be good for this type of thing, and give some film they could eventually edit just for fun? I am not sure how it is besides just wearing it while zooming around. Which model would you recommend? Or are there other options that would be better?

This is DS's dearest wish for Xmas.  He's 11, and a budding filmmaker.  I think it's perfect!

We are going with a mid-range model, not the cheapest, as we want it to have wifi for easy downloading to the computer or other devices for editing.

Amazon has had periodic lightning deals on accessory packs.  :)  We've scored one, but still need the camera.  Better get on it...

• Like 1

GoPros are amazing digital cameras.  There is no film.  They would be a wonderful gift for your active boys.  The Action model used to come with an assortment of straps for attaching to various things.  You'll want at least a head strap or chest strap.  Which one to buy will depend on how much you want to spend.  The LCD display is nice because the boys can watch what they recorded, instantly.  But, it's not necessary, and it adds about $100 to the price.

• Like 2

We have some go pros and love them. The lcd screen is great, but runs down the battery, which already has a short life. It might depend which mode you have though. We have the black 4K and the same model that isn't 4K from two years ago.

I would get an extra battery. Best Buy sells an off brand go pro accessory kit for $35. It has a lot of useful things in it. I think Best Buy is giving a $100 gift card if you buy a go pro today. ( I do not work for Best Buy! I just did some shopping today.)

• Like 1

I was just looking at the upcoming Amazon Lightning Deals for tomorrow, and there will be two different GoPro accessory kits featured. I bookmarked the pages but forgot to note the times when the Lightning Deals are scheduled to start. (Sorry! :blush:)

I'm pretty sure I found them in the Electronics section of the upcoming Lightning Deals, so if anyone is interested, try looking there first.

Here are the links to the product pages:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X8J5MMQ?ref_=gb1h_img_m-3_2622_1b071521

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XB2XP8I?ref_=gb1h_img_m-3_2622_30d0872c

• Like 1

My adrenaline junkie of a husband wanted a GoPro for Hanukkah. I did the research and ended up buying this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VFVUAMQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

If you research it on Cnet, and other review sites, the cam is highly rated, and will save you a lot of money. There are tons of accessories for it as well. These days, GoPro is not the only name in this game. Good luck!

ETA: What sold me on the cam was watching side by side YouTube videos comparing this to the GoPro. 

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 2