Menu

Qdoba/Chipotle Style Homemade? UPDATE in Original Post!!

jen3kids

Mocking? If people like the style of Taco Bell they can go there and get "tacos" made with ground beef. If they want to serve party with Chipotle-style food, then they are better off stewing meat (the way Chipotle does). Ground meat doesn't match the criterion. It would kill that vibe.

Stating the obvious is not "mocking."

The advice I'm offering is very good advice. Not mean. Sound.

Bill

I think the 'vibe' is "stuff over rice in a bowl." Qdoba serves seasoned ground meat as one of their protein options. Most people, especially a large group of teen boys, will think nothing of eating and enjoying this option. Personally, I prefer the steak option at Chipotle, but I'm guessing that would be cost prohibitive. Chicken and/or ground beef would be the most economical choice and completely appropriate for this particular event.

I actually think the rice and bean amounts look adequate if it's the pre-cooked, dried measurement. That would double (and the beans may triple) when cooked.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1

I think the 'vibe' is "stuff over rice in a bowl." Qdoba serves seasoned ground meat as one of their protein options. Most people, especially a large group of teen boys, will think nothing of eating and enjoying this option. Personally, I prefer the steak option at Chipotle, but I'm guessing that would be cost prohibitive. Chicken and/or ground beef would be the most economical choice and completely appropriate for this particular event.

Seems Jen chose chicken; however, stewed beef (which starts with tough inexpensive cuts that take well to long slow wet cooking) or pork is a very good value. Often less expensive than ground beef, and far more flavorful. Stewed meat also has an advantage of being easy to pre-cook and keeps well being warmed. Ground beef on the other hand does not do well either being pre-cooked, or being kept warm.

Chicken works. Mexican food made with ground beef is something one only finds in American fast-food places. 

Bill

I have my Chipotle chicken marinating in the fridge, the corn salsa mingling flavors and the rest TBD for the Chipotle burrito bowl fest later today.

OP, when I am not sure I have adequate amounts of food, I supplement with chips, dips, salsa, queso, desserts, etc.  No one will go hungry.  I typically grossly over prepare food, though, so I do not trust myself to give anyone else advice on that.

• Like 1

Glad it went well! I can't believe how little people ate of the beans and rice!  I make half a pound of dried beans for the four of us and have enough leftover for someone's lunch the next day.   But the good thing is that you picked stuff that your family can eat this week...or later.