Menu

Best way to freeze muffins for a month or so?

Tap

I am trying to get more calories into my dd17 before she leaves for public school every day.  One of the few breakfast items I can get her to eat is a homemade muffin.  I don't always have the time to make them in the morning (special needs dd) and making them at night isn't always an option.  I think I am going to freeze some, but want to know the best way to do so.  

The kids like moist muffins (banana, blueberry, pumpkin, zucchini, etc) so they can get a bit sticky at times.  I don't usually use muffin liners, so the kids can walk out the door with a muffin and a napkin in their hand.  I find that liners usually make more mess than they save with moist muffins.

Zipper bag? Will regular sandwich baggies do (so I bag them individually) or should I do groups in freezer bags?

Saran warp?

Wax paper?

Foil?

Leave in the muffin tin and cover with something? Is one of the muffin tins with dome lids enough if they aren't in there too long?

Years ago I used to work in a bakery and we froze muffin batter in pans and then baked the pans once the batter was thawed out.  I could do it this way (pulling it out to thaw at night), but would need to buy more tins and figure out logistics. I currently have 3x12ct, 2x6ct, 1xmini muffin, 1x12ct with dome. If the tins are in  the freezer, I don't have them to make the next batches. We have a small chest freezer, but it is usually pretty full, so I will have to work on that. I also wonder if thawing them overnight will destroy some of the leavening.  

What I do with banana bread mini loaves is cool them thoroughly and freeze them on the cooling rack sitting in a half sheet pan. When they're solid, I stick them in a baggie. Pull out and let them thaw in the fridge overnight. I assume it would work similarly with muffins.

• Like 2

I let them cool completely and then toss in a ziplock bag. I've never had a problem.

And FYI, if you freeze the muffin batter and pull out to bake fresh, there is no need to defrost ahead of time. You put the frozen batter discs in the greased muffin tin and pop them into a preheated oven. They need a few more mins to bake, but that's the only difference.

You don't need to freeze the tins either. You freeze the batter in the tin and then pop the discs out with a butter knife and toss them into a ziplock bag. You might have to let it thaw a bit or run some cold water over the bottom, but they will pop out.  Some people use muffin cups and just pull those out and put in a bag, but I am not a fan of muffin liners/cups

• Like 2