Menu

help me with this application question

"Please describe the type of academic evaluation or grading scale used during your homeschooling."

My kids use a variety of sources (see signature for details).  They study AoPS with me at home, she's taking AP Chemistry with PA Homeschoolers, she works with a tutor for writing.  She takes AMC exams, and took the SAT for admission to Duke TIP and for practice.  She's taking a Coursera class.  

I answered:

"We use tests and writing assignments to evaluate performance in the core academic subjects and assign letter grades on a 90-80-70 scale (see transcript). For electives without such an objective measure of mastery, we do not assign letter grades but give a grade of P for participation.

In order to compare with national standards and to put our students’ performance into context, we are using standardized testing. DD has taken the ACT, SAT, and four different SAT II subject tests. "

• Like 3

I answered:

"We use tests and writing assignments to evaluate performance in the core academic subjects and assign letter grades on a 90-80-70 scale (see transcript). For electives without such an objective measure of mastery, we do not assign letter grades but give a grade of P for participation.

In order to compare with national standards and to put our students’ performance into context, we are using standardized testing. DD has taken the ACT, SAT, and four different SAT II subject tests. "

regentrude, this is quite accurate to our situation. May I borrow this? (pretty please?)

My answer:

Home-based coursework was graded according to the grading scale indicated on the transcript (94-100=A, 90-93=A-, 87-89=B+, etc).  The GPA is unweighted and was calculated on a 4 point scale.  Please see the school profile and transcript for more detailed information.

With regard to this the school profile said: All home-based courses were taught to mastery, meaning that assessment was done only after [the student] had mastered the material through discussion and practice.  Because meeting expectations was not optional--and expectations were to produce excellent quality work--[the student's] grades in his home-based courses are uniformly high.  The grading scale for home-based courses is indicated on the transcript.  A 4.0 grading scale is used, and grades are not weighted.

• Like 1

I had a similar answer to regantrude's, something along the lines of individual course grades may be based on a combination of exams, quizzes, written assignments, labs, discussion participation, translations (and so forth).  Courses are graded according to the following scale A=x-x, B=x-x (and so forth).

I put this information multiple times in Common App.  In the school profile, as an answer to the question on the counselor side about grades, and a grading scale on the transcript. Our course grades were on a  4.0 scale but I provided both weighted and unweighted grades and explained which courses were weighted and why.

• Like 1

I put this in the school profile and then put "See school profile."

I listed each core subject area (math, science, etc.) and then described how we had evaluated it in general for classes in the home. I then added a bit about how individual course descriptions contained a description of evaluation methods, especially for outside courses.

• Like 1