Menu

Navy reserve - any experience?

klmama

I enlisted in the Army while I was at college- best decision I ever made. The time I spent in the Army was the absolute best time of my life.

That said.... I was in Military Intelligence, as a linguist, which does entail a different military lifestyle, I've been told. We didn't get as much gear at issue, for instance, because we didn't spend as much time training out in the field- though many people I worked with did go to Afghanistan and/or Iraq (many of them volunteered)- but they are all fine.

I have heard the Navy is "better" than the Army, as far as quality of life- but whatever- I absolutely loved my time in.

Reserve units still get deployed frequently... I know someone who joined Navy Reserves after we gor out of the Army, and he's been deployed twice.

I would just make sure he knows reservists get deployed. My dh is an army reservist and has been deployed for 4 years since 2005. I'm not sure as much about the navy, but for my dh it definitely hasn't been one weekend a month/two weeks a year. Not saying it wouldn't be a good thing for your ds to do.

• Like 2

Reserve units still get deployed frequently... I know someone who joined Navy Reserves after we gor out of the Army, and he's been deployed twice.

Was the US at war when your friend deployed?  The recruiter told my dc that the Navy Reserves would only be deployed if we were at war, otherwise it is just one weekend a month. I'm skeptical.

• Like 1

My son did Navy Reserves and it wasn't the best experience for him, but it's difficult to decide where the blame lies in it.  On the one hand, he felt he was given lots of misinformation by the recruiter.  On the other hand, my ds is not a detail person and it is not beyond the realm of possibility that he may have mislaid some information as well.  Either way, he didn't like it and got out as quickly as he could.  He did one 6 month deployment.