Menu

adult ballet and osteoporosis

MamaBearTeacher

Can a woman approaching menopause take ballet if she never has before? Are there usually classes available? Will it be difficult? Do you have to go barefoot or can you wear socks? is it the kind of exercise that helps with or helps prevent osteoporosis or can it make it worse? I don't know how I got this idea that it might be fun to take ballet. I have always been bad at remembering dance steps.

Many larger ballet companies will offer beginning ballet classes for adults. Most start with the very basics although there will likely be people in the class who have taken it before. Stand by them at the barre and stand behind them when in the center.

Ballet is probably one of the better dance styles for beginners as the class structure is pretty standard. The movements will be very basic, though don't be surprised if it is harder than it looks. Executing tendu exercises can make me sweat from nervousness.

I highly recommend you get proper ballet shoes. They have the right amount of traction to perform movements smoothly while still gripping the floor. Socks are dangerous on a ballet floor and should not be worn. Barefoot depends on the school, though most don't like it for hygiene reasons.

I can't comment on osteoporosis other than that ballet is a weight bearing exercise. So long as you know the limits of your body and don't push yourself to do something uncomfortable, it can be an enjoyable experience. It can help with your flexibility and balance. I've read studies that show balance is often a critical part of health as we grow older.

ETA: You don't always need a leotard and tights. Many of the companies I've taken classes from have relaxed standards for adults. They just ask that you wear form-fitting clothes so the instructor can see your body, particularly your hips and legs. I often wear a t-shirt and running leggings. If you are doing something wrong, it's critical that the teacher can see your body so it can get corrected.

• Like 2

This sounds hopeful. I don't mind wearing ballet shoes. These are just slippers, right? They don't have wood inside them for beginners, do they? Do the exercises in the beginner classes require a lot of flexibility? I can't get anywhere near doing the splits. Or do the beginner classes have you mostly standing up with your feet on the ground or close to it?

Soft ballet shoes are widely available. Companies like Bloch or Capezio make them in cloth or leather. I prefer leather as I have very wide feet and need the stretch leather provides. My pair are over fifteen years old, but I am careful to never wear them outside class, especially not on pavement, and I don't take classes as much as I used to. Women usually wear pink.

Classes are geared towards your comfort level. You will probably see a wide variety of flexibility and skill, even in the beginners. Gentle stretching itself should be done before class. Usually, you'll see students gathering 5-10 minutes before the class begins to stretch. Good instructors should never ask you to do anything that hurts or makes you very uncomfortable, though they may encourage you to stretch further, point harder, etc.

A ballet class is usually three parts.

Exercises at the barre, which may include some stretching but those are part of the movements. For beginners, it will usually be plies (bending your knees), tendues (pointing your feet), releves (rising on your toes-not pointe!), and maybe battements (kicks-these are small, your toe just lifts off the floor).

Exercises at the center, which includes the barre exercise but have more traveling, usually just underneath yourself. Over time, you might learn the very basic jumps, but again, these are very small and flow naturally from the movements you've practiced at the bar. In many beginners classes, the older students would do the jump exercise without lifting their feet from the floor.

Exercises across the floor, bigger traveling exercises usually done corner to corner. You will usually do these with another person or two. The exercise will be shown starting with a particular foot, usually right. The student will do one pass, corner to corner then reverse the movement starting on the left foot after everyone has finished. The instructor demonstrates both ways for beginners though as you move through the levels you are expected to reverse the exercise on your own. These are very simple for beginners. I've taken classes where the floor exercises don't start until after several weeks of barre and center.

• Like 3

Ballet is the foundation for all styles of dance.

Ballet is all about proper posture, balance and discipline. Someone who has osteo, or any kind of back issue should get clearance from their physician first. But most will say it is a very good idea.

For adults. Normally there is not a dress code, other then shorts and a tank top. I would not invest in ballet slippers until you know you like it. In the meantime, you can wear socks. Or even barefoot.

I took ballet for about a year in my adult years. Personally, it wasn't for me. I prefer Lyrical. 

I would absolutely give it a try!!!

Can a woman approaching menopause take ballet if she never has before? Are there usually classes available? Will it be difficult? Do you have to go barefoot or can you wear socks? is it the kind of exercise that helps with or helps prevent osteoporosis or can it make it worse? I don't know how I got this idea that it might be fun to take ballet. I have always been bad at remembering dance steps.

You should be able to find an adult beginning ballet class, or even a ballet-themed exercise/strength class. If you don't want to be the only middle-aged woman dancing for the first time, look into a beginning bellydance class. I routinely see women in their 50s and 60s sign up for classes. Generally they go barefoot or wear ballet slippers.

• Like 1

My sons' school offers adult beginner classes several times a week. There are men and women in the class. There are a LOT of people in those classes who want to strengthen and protect their backs and gain a range of motion.  Ballet is excellent for that. 

Exercise to prevent osteoporosis is challenging, at least to me it is. Ballet would work because it is a weight bearing exercise,  you are holding yourself up while you do it.  That is opposed to something like swimming or bike riding where something else is keeping you upright.  But, in order to strengthen bones, or at least prevent the weakening of them, you need to challenge them.  Walking and dancing helps a great deal, but seems to help mostly the feet, ankles and knees.  Running and high impact exercise works its way up the leg further and reaches the hips. 

My mother knew that osteoporosis runs in the family and worked her whole life to avoid it. She walked, and lifted (light) weights like mad.  When I say she walked, I mean that she walked at a fast clip at least 5 miles a day, 5 days a week for 20 years. She is in her 70s and still walks a crazy amount.  She ended up with osteoporosis in her neck and shoulders :sad: It is very painful and has caused a lot of problems for her

There was a very interesting study out of china a couple years ago that showed that one of the best things you can to help your bones is to jump up and down, as high as you can, 25 times a day, every day.  That seemed to help more than anything else.  However, I can tell you that the benefits of that won't help your neck or shoulders etc.  You need to put some stress on the bones to make the body take less calcium from the bones. 

My mother took up Zumba and yoga, and went back to daily walking, and actually saw a net gain in bone density in her late 60s.

So, I think that ballet has a tremendous amount to offer to the adult body. It's going to give you a strong butt, that will protect and strengthen your back. It's going to give you strong legs so you can walk well and with good balance. It will challenge your balance, which is something everyone needs.  It will strengthen your core, which helps with posture and gives you more overall strength. It will also strengthen your arms and increase your range of motion in your shoulders, another really good thing to work on as we age.

But, if your main worry is osteoporosis and bone density, you might want to try adding in something a little more 'bouncy' even if it is just jumping up and down in your living room a few times a day. Even if you can just get those heels off the floor a bit. And don't forget some weights for your arms, because they need it.

I am considering getting a yoga headstand support thing-y.  After watching my mom deal with so much pain in her neck and shoulders, I want to strengthen the bones in that area. Headstands are the only thing I have been able to think of that might work.  The stands are expensive, so its going to take me a while to get one.

• Like 2