Menu

AoPS and CLEP College Algebra / College Math

Does anyone know how much of AoPS Intro to Algebra you would need to cover to be ready to pass the CLEP College Algebra, or the CLEP College Math, exams?

One of my daughters wants to take (non math) classes at the local community college, and (long story) the easiest way for her to satisfy their math requirement (which is a prerequisite to entry) is through one of those CLEP tests.  She's currently early in the Functions chapter in AoPS Algebra.

Has anyone done this?  Thoughts?

I'm not sure exactly where it would fall, but "College Algebra" is the first half of PreCalculus, aka "Algebra 3".  AoPS Intro is quite advanced, but is still only Algebra I topics and some Algebra II, but not all.  AoPS Intermediate Algebra is the more advanced topics.  I'm still not sure where that lines up; although it covers what it does it does more rigorously than most, but I wouldn't think Intro alone would cover enough topics for College Algebra.

Our CC just implemented this policy this year, that you have to test into College-level classes, no more remedial.  Dd is just taking math online, and all her other classes at the CC.  I am thinking of having her take the PreCalculus CLEP this year; I think a test on what she just covered will be easier than a comprehensive placement test like the Accuplacer - and then she won't have to worry about testing for math for college next year either.  If she tests out of PreCalc, as a social sciences major, she may get away with just taking a Stats class...

Both of my dc's have taken several CLEP exams including College Algebra so I am going to answer more in terms of how they usually prepare.

This website is a helpful place to start http://www.free-clep-prep.com/College-Algebra-CLEP.htmland the section advice could be aligned to alcumus pretty easily I think.

We normally buy a copy of the REA guide. We didn't use it for the College Algebra (they took this one after doing the SAT Math Subject exams so were already well prepared) but ds did use REA for the Calculus exam and found it very helpful.

After they have studied with the guides and free test prep they take practice exams. Some libraries have them free online. When they are getting at least a 70% in practice we book the test.

I hope this helps.