Menu

Help from sewers -- need help with costume

mlktwins

I'm making my son a simple Harry Potter robe following these directions http://diyfashion.about.com/od/costumes/ss/gryffindor_robe.htm#step5. I am on Step 5, have stitched the sides and am getting ready to cut up the front. I just realized there is no hole for the neck as the top of the robe is not cut (it is on the fold). What do I do? Probably something really easy and I'm missing it -- LOL. I'm scared to cut the fabric before I really know what I should do. He is wearing a Gryffindor scarf the my SIL crocheted for him so that will cover his neck and the top of the robe, but he needs to be a little comfortable in it :-).

Any advice is much appreciated!!!

The only neck hole is where you've cut up to the fold in the front I think... kind of like a bathrobe without a collar, I gather from the later steps that once you sew in the lining you turn the red parts on the neck so that they show at the collar. I can't quite picture how this will look though.

• Like 1

You could fold the front edges in enough to make a wide enough place along the back neckline for the neck, then the front edges could just drape over the shoulders and down. Seems this would actually work better for a full HP costume, since you can then see the underlying suit.

I agree, the instructions missed telling how to do this part!

• Like 1

This is not a well done tutorial---clearly no one actually made a sample before doing the tute, or there would be pictures of the actual garment, right?

I've done similar cloaks.  Along the lines of Seasiders suggestion:  instead of just cutting a line up to the top, cut out a 3-4 inch strip up to the top and then hem, so you have an opening that will fit around his neck.  Or, cut a keyhole right at the neck and hem that (bias tape would make it easier).

I used this pattern several years ago. I wanted to to add a fancier collar so I cut a collar shape and sewed my own collar. For a simple collar, fold the robe in half place a t-shirt, also folded in half, on top and trace the outline of the collar.

Did you do the cut up the front of the robe 1st or after cutting? I'm so glad he is wearing a wide scarf!!!

It's been awhile so I dug up my pattern that I printed out. It looks like I folded it in half, had kid lie down to make the markings. My notes said I made it more than 8" from the body. Looking at the pattern, I probably didn't fold it again in the vertical center. I would just lay it flat and put a t-shirt right on top and trace a collar. I wouldn't make the shape too deep because you are going to fold a bit to hem.

Cut out the collar and then cut up the front of the robe.

Have your child try it on and adjust the collar to be comfortable.

• Like 1

It's been awhile so I dug up my pattern that I printed out. It looks like I folded it in half, had kid lie down to make the markings. My notes said I made it more than 8" from the body. Looking at the pattern, I probably didn't fold it again in the vertical center. I would just lay it flat and put a t-shirt right on top and trace a collar. I wouldn't make the shape too deep because you are going to fold a bit to hem.

Cut out the collar and then cut up the front of the robe.

Have your child try it on and adjust the collar to be comfortable.

THANK YOU!!!