Menu

Loving Five in a Row

LMCme

I had to post because I was totally not expecting this. 

I'm just not "that kind of mom".  I have zero creativity, no artistic ability.  Bells and whistles don't work for me.  And so I was incredibly resistent to FIAR.

A few weeks ago DS4 and I really started to drag.  We were still doing 'math and phonics' for 15-30 minutes per day, but we weren't having fun anymore.  I remembered reading about FIAR before and thought, "yeah, but that was for mom's who are fun, excited, whimisical... you know, COOL moms.  Not me."

But I downloaded the free Ping unit from their website, and I downloaded a free copy of the book from another website... and two weeks later our house is alive with joy again.  And yes, even plain old me was able to get the hang of it.  We're now a few weeks in and still having a lot of fun.

Anyway, had to post :)

LMC

• Like 4

We love it too! We now own all the FIAR books that are still in print. I look forward to doing them all again with my youngest.

If you want to try doing lapbooks, most of the FIAR books have free lapbooks at homeschoolshare:

http://www.homeschoolshare.com/index_lapbooks_master_list.php

If there isn't one for the book itself, there is often one for the country or theme (China for Ping). They aren't necessary, and I wouldn't skip FIAR to just do the lapbook, but they often help my ds have more retention of what we have learned for that unit.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...