Menu

Conceptual Physics/Exploration Education

SeaConquest

Sacha has asked to do physics next year, and since I'm hitting the November doldrums early, I figured I'd do a bit of research. I'm wondering about the Conceptual Physics or How Things Work books/lectures, along with some sort of kit for Sacha to work with my DH. I don't want to hunt anything down, and it seems like Exploration Education would fit the secular, all-inclusive bill. Does this sound doable for an accelerated kid? He will be 7-8 next year, and my husband can assist with any fine motor issues. His attention span for science is really good. We are currently watching 1-2 hours of astronomy documentaries a few times per week, and he loves them. Math-wise, he seems to intuit basic algebra pretty well (we've done some Balance Benders and Hands on Equations stuff). Thanks so much for your thoughts.

Thames and Kosmos is who we have used for physics. Backyard Ballistics is a pretty great book and so is the sequel, Art of the Catapult. They work best in the summer, or if you have great weather where you are. The learning happens from building all these various weapons and playing with them. There is a bit of history thrown in too.

We are using the most secular version of Apologia, but it requires beginning trig, so it won't work or you guys.

Have you seen this thread? It's pinned on the top of the high school board.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/540313-homeschool-high-school-physics/

When I am looking for a science for my accelerated elementary student, I look for a video/fun presentation that is considered easy for high school, ignore any writing requirements (for my reluctant writer) and add a hands-on component. We are currently using the Physics 101 dvd series, but it won't work for you since it is not secular.

• Like 1

DS7 is doing Hewitts conceptual physics and loving it. First, when my son asked in algebra, why do I need three variable equations, I said, it's time for physics 😄. This book and AoPs Intro to algebra go well together. Secondly, the practicing physics book that goes with it provides some nice worksheets for each chapter that basically teach the concepts in a Socratic way. Finally, the laboratory manual has some great experiments that are easily done with stuff around the house. We spend one hour on Tuesday doing selected readings from the text and worksheets, and one hour on Thursday doing lab. There's 35 chapters so we try to hit one each week. Love it!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is exactly what we are doing this year for eighth and it is working out well. We are working through Conceptual Physics, and doing the EE exercises that go along with the chapters. EE is much easier than Conceptual Physics, though, even the advanced version of EE. But DD enjoys the combination.

Sacha has asked to do physics next year, and since I'm hitting the November doldrums early, I figured I'd do a bit of research. I'm wondering about the Conceptual Physics or How Things Work books/lectures, along with some sort of kit for Sacha to work with my DH. I don't want to hunt anything down, and it seems like Exploration Education would fit the secular, all-inclusive bill. Does this sound doable for an accelerated kid? He will be 7-8 next year, and my husband can assist with any fine motor issues. His attention span for science is really good. We are currently watching 1-2 hours of astronomy documentaries a few times per week, and he loves them. Math-wise, he seems to intuit basic algebra pretty well (we've done some Balance Benders and Hands on Equations stuff). Thanks so much for your thoughts.

• Like 1

This is exactly what we are doing this year for eighth and it is working out well. We are working through Conceptual Physics, and doing the EE exercises that go along with the chapters. EE is much easier than Conceptual Physics, though, even the advanced version of EE. But DD enjoys the combination.

Is it something that you think an accelerated 2nd grader could do?

I think Conceptual Physics is quite a stretch, even for an advanced eighth grader.  But EE?  Ye, do-able.  There are also a few different levels of EE; we have the advanced version that is supposed to be for high school, but it's too easy for middle school, IMO.

• Like 1

I think Conceptual Physics is quite a stretch, even for an advanced eighth grader.

Why do you think so? DS9 started in second, and is doing just fine. We planned it at a 2-year clip, interlaced with life science, earth science, and now conceptual chemistry. All will finish by the end of third grade. He is advanced mathematically, but the math has never been required, anyway. I believe a motivated kid could do Conceptual Physics, even if not advanced. It's really well done.

• Like 2

If the child has someone he/she can ask questions to, why not. Age is not a good gauge when it comes to self driven accelerated learners.

Just let your son try conceptual physics. He can always put it aside if he isn't into it yet. No experience with Exploration Education.

DS9 is using conceptual physics this year in his B&M homeschool physics hands on class. He use Giancoli for reference.

DS10 is doing conceptual physics with clover creek physics by our WTMer, his B&M homeschool physics hands on class which use 6 ideas that shaped physics, and use both Giancoli and Halliday & Resnick as reference.

You just go along for the ride. If your child like physics (or any science) more than math, the science pulls the math train.

• Like 2