Menu

Q re transcript: online courses

cave canem

Does anyone include the frequency and mode (written, email, message board, skype, live, blackboard, etc.) of interaction with other students in the class and with the instructor in the course descriptions for online classes?  

My student has a couple tippy-top type schools on her lists, but mostly not.

Thank you for sharing.

Lee

I did not include that information in the course descriptions I wrote for my son's home based courses.  I considered any course not taken at an accredited institution to be home based (so Derek Owens was home based but Oak Meadow was not).

The Common App wanted course descriptions for outside coursework which I listed separately in the application itself and not on my course descriptions.  They wanted what you are talking about--frequency and mode of interaction.  I listed it there.

• Like 1

We are working on non-Common App schools right now, and I am just writing descriptions to go with the transcript.  

Is what you describe in the counselor piece of the Common App? 

Derek Owens definitely feels home-based, but with something like Potter's School or Landry, I am not so sure.  They have definite class meetings with live interaction.  Hmmm.. . 

I was pretty direct in the Common App section.

In the course descriptions, I mentioned if a course was online and gave a more general description.

Example:

Common App for one course

*Klingon 2 - The Warbird Arena.  Live online class met once a week for two 16-week semesters. Covered chapters 20-40 of Uhura's Klingon. Comprehensive course included instructor graded weekly class participation, translation assignments and graded quizzes. Assessments included comprehensive semester midterm and final exams as well as the National KlingonExam (Level 2).  Course instructor holds an MA in Klingon.  

Course Description:

Klingon 2 (The Warbird Arena, online class):   One year, online course covering chapters 20-40 of Uhura's Klingon, 7th ed.  Comprehensive course included instructor graded weekly class participation, translation assignments and graded quizzes.  This course completes a student's grammar studies with full mastery of forms, vocabulary and grammar.  Assessments included comprehensive semester midterm and final exams as well as the National Klingon Exam (Level 2).  Course instructor: Quark de Feringi (MA Klingon, Star Fleet Academy).

• Like 5

I was pretty direct in the Common App section.

In the course descriptions, I mentioned if a course was online and gave a more general description.

Oh dear, does this mean that I have to give a shorter description on CA form in addition to just uploading my course descriptions.  I think I am going to cry.......

• Like 1

Oh dear, does this mean that I have to give a shorter description on CA form in addition to just uploading my course descriptions.  I think I am going to cry.......

You can refer the reader to your uploaded courses descriptions if you want.

• Like 2

Oh dear, does this mean that I have to give a shorter description on CA form in addition to just uploading my course descriptions. I think I am going to cry.......

I already had my course descriptions in a form I liked. I didn't change those.

The CA asked about educational partners and specifically about things like frequency and mode of contact. I wrote one blurb per provider that answered those questions. (Ex Dual enrolled as an Early Admission Student. College courses taken on campus were typically 75 min classes that met twice a week. Labs were three hour classes weekly. )

Basically I was recording how much interaction there was, if it was classroom or online and if it was self paced.

I also have a short listing of partners on my uploaded school profile. This is just a list that identifies and gives a one line description of the provider.

• Like 1