Menu

Trimathlon 2015

SeaConquest

How did it go for everyone today?

Sacha took first place for second grade at the test center in La Jolla, which sounds impressive, but he was the only participant for his grade (most of the kids were 3rd and up from the local La Jolla schools). Nevertheless, I am so proud of him. He's never taken a test before, and 45 minutes is a long time for a 6 year old to concentrate. I asked to see his test afterward, and he did really well. He was so excited to get a medal, and told them all how much he loves math. Honestly, I think the teacher was more nervous than the student! Watching him confidently perform on a timed test with all older kids made me feel much more confident about our homeschooling. Thank you all for your encouragement and advice! :) 

• Like 7

My girls didn't place, but they had a great time! The whole experience was fun and encouraging, and the girls left with huge smiles. They took the 2nd and 5th grade tests, which were the most common grades there. The other two grades were barely represented.

• Like 1

My son took first place for 3rd grade in the local center. There were close to 9 participants this year in his grade (they opened another center close by, so the crowd was lesser). He had a good time and was excited to receive a gift along with the medal and goody bag. He said that the questions were a lot simpler than the sample questions on their website (magic square, skip counting, arranging fractions in ascending order etc.). It did not occur to me to ask to see the test afterwards, though I might do that next year.

• Like 2

My son was first place of eight kids in third grade, and the proctors said he did really really well. My daughter was first place of seven in fifth grade, and they also said she scored really high. We didn't ask to see the tests, though. They went on and on about both kids, which was really great for dh and I. We've had zero support or feedback for so long...I think we were both surprised how hungry we were for it. Dh isn't as aware of our kids' abilities, and this also made him realize maybe we are dealing with something unusual.

It didn't matter to me how they placed. I just wanted them to be in an environment where it was okay to try hard academically. The absolute highlight for me was when ds said he thought maybe he could be an engineer afterall. He didn't think he was good at math, and was shocked he was first. It gave him an amazing confidence boost.

• Like 1

Guest momofB3

My son got 1st place in Houston, TX (Memorial City) 2nd grade.  Has anyone experienced the competition the following week for the top competitors?

My son got first place (3rd yr in a row) and my daughter didn't place (her first math competition).

Has anyone experienced the competition the following week for the top competitors?

Yes, those who achieve 100% on the initial test are invited to the grand prize tie-breaker event. It is way more challenging and there's no way to prepare for it sadly... last year it involved a rubik's cube for example.

• Like 1