Menu

Somehow didn't order Activity Guide for ds SOTW 1

Storm Bay

What would you do? I've spent all I can on curricula for this year (and probably a bit more than I should have). How robbed will he be if we read through the SOTW 1 book, do the extra reading but not the Activities? My dds loved that book, and I liked the mapwork in particular. I can get the reading lists from my one of our old guides.

We didn't buy the activity guide - didn't have time for more activities. We built a big timeline on the wall incrementally as we went through the book. That took a lot of time. Then we used the knowledge quest maps for map work - but didn't do a lot of that. We also got books out of the library and perused those. I think you'll do fine.

we don't do the activities either, and the suggested questions they provide are nothing you couldn't come up with on your own. the most valuable part of the activity guide for us has been the supplemental reading suggestions. if you intend to do a lot of that, it would be worth it to get the activity guide. otherwise, not.

...you can probably find them at the library.

"Classical Kids"

and

"Israel and her Neighbors"

Those each have lots of crafts and recipes...one covering the pre-classical ancient era, and the other focussing more on Greek and Roman designs. Lots of great ideas in those two!

What I liked best in the AG, though, was the specific book lists and guidance. The books they suggest were really the best around, and the IR books, especially, were great for my emerging reader to use as a break from her reading curriculum and to start her doing subject area reading.

"Classical Kids"

and

Those each have lots of crafts and recipes...one covering the pre-classical ancient era, and the other focussing more on Greek and Roman designs. Lots of great ideas in those two!

What I liked best in the AG, though, was the specific book lists and guidance. The books they suggest were really the best around, and the IR books, especially, were great for my emerging reader to use as a break from her reading curriculum and to start her doing subject area reading.

Thanks--all out of rep. I'm going to my library website now.

It's "Ancient Egypt and her Neighbors" (not ancient Israel). Sorry, it's been a few years for me!

:lol: What's really funny is that I went to my virtual catalogue and found something with the first title--a set of 3 lectures from 1957. I decided not to place a hold on it. Since I tend to forget book names and author names, not to worry. It only "cost" me about 2 minutes of computer time.

You could buy only the consumable pages for $7. These are not the whole AG, but just the consumable workbook pages that are at the end of the regular AG.

http://www.peacehillpress.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=7

These will give you the coloring pages, the outline maps (though the instructions for Map Work are in the AG), and any other consumables that go with each chapter.

I buy these for my DD6, since I already have the guides from my older DS going through the series. Quite honestly, I do use her reading lists that are in the AG, and find them very credible. We also enjoy the project ideas when we have time to do one, but the Classical Kids book has plenty of fun and easy ones too (I bet you can get it from your library. I bought mine on ebay). I found a couple of other craft books from the Ancient times period at the library, but can't remember what they were. One had a nice mosaic project based on the Minonan jumpers, as I recall. Stuff like that. I bet you could find other books with a search.

As for reading rec's, I guess you could just look at the the chapter to see what topic is for the week, then do a search on your library catalog to see what they have about that topic.

The big thing you'd miss out on w/out the AG is the map work. I think as long as you take the time to view a map while you're working through each chapter, and point out where you talking about, you may be able to hit that base alright. The consumable maps make it so convenient, but it's possible to do it other ways....

HTH and GL! - Stacey in MA

"Classical Kids"

and

Also, Old Testament Days is pretty good...even if you're not religious the crafts are worthwhile. I own the AG, but don't use it. I use the three above listed resources...Classical Kids, Israel and her Neighbors, and Old Testament Days.