Menu

Is this normal?

My 1st grader (just turned 6 at the end of July) is still frequently writing her numbers backwards (2, 3, 5, 6, 7, and 9) and also still occasionally mixes up b and d when reading. Is this typical, or should I be concerned? She is very bright and picks everything else up quickly. Her handwriting is neat, we are working through Right Start B (she quickly picks up the concepts and is great at mental math), and her reading seems to be right on track for her age.

DS8 did this all the time. Your post made me realize he doesn't do it anymore :)

I often would have him circle the backward numbers he'd made, to help him discern the correct way.

He still mixes up letters, but only in the context of extended writing (journal, letter, narration). When asked to check his work, he can see what he'd made backward and correct it. 

I think the little kids are doing SO MUCH at once that they're bound to make a mistake, and  it's either a miscalculation or a misformed number, KWIM? I'd rather have a misformed number and an understood math lesson than the other way around :)

I think the little kids are doing SO MUCH at once that they're bound to make a mistake, and it's either a miscalculation or a misformed number, KWIM? I'd rather have a misformed number and an understood math lesson than the other way around :)

So true!!

Thanks for the reassurance, everyone!