Menu

First world problems vent...don't enter if you don't like whining

Hikin' Mama

I am trying to book a vacation. I'm using vrbo.com. I have inquired about six properties that I found. I checked the calendar on each of them before sending an inquiry and my dates were clear. Do you know that four of them responded back that those dates were already booked? They responded pretty quickly, so either the places fill up fast or they have failed to update their calendar. One of them, thankfully, was still open. (The sixth I didn't hear back from.) It just seems like it would save the owner a good amount of time to update the calendar so that they didn't have to respond to inquiries on dates that are already full. It's not just this location either. It happened to me before in a completely different location.

Okay, vent over. Sorry for the whine.

• Like 3

Really?  We used AirBnB, and ran into one that hadn't updated their calendar, but for the most part the calendars were accurate and people answered any questions promptly.  

For the record, dh wanted to check out some on VRBO, but the idea got nixed since we'd already looked at dozens and dozens on AirBnB and I was DONE looking at properties.

It happened to me too. I think properties get listed on multiple services, and they don't update all the calendars across all the services.

I think so too. I've booked a few times with vrbo and not had an issue, but I've also seen the same properties listed on other sites. I guess my take away will be to email a few sites at once, when I start planning our spring trip!

It happened to me too. I think properties get listed on multiple services, and they don't update all the calendars across all the services.

That never occurred to me, but you are probably right. I'll keep that in mind when making reservations in the future. I'm glad I sent out a bunch of inquiries.

• Like 1

We have an airbnb unit and I don't see HOW the calendar couldn't be updated because airbnb is in charge of the calendar.  If a reservation gets made, which happens through the airbnb system, it shows up automatically on the calendar.  I guess one could have their place listed elsewhere, yes. I don't have any impetus right now to list elsewhere because I think airbnb is beginning to be the new "it" place and appears to be growing in popularity.  It's SO much easier than VRBO and they take care of all the money, calendar, listings, reservations, etc.  Plus it's free to use, unlike VRBO.  We get plenty of reservations from there.  By the end of October, which will complete our first two full months, we'll have had 44 out of 60 nights booked -- our goal was 16-20).  We blocked some here and there for personal reasons or if it meant we'd have to clean it three days in a row for single-night guests, but for the most part, we've only had a handful of days not booked each month.  It's been great.  

Hope you find something!!  If you're coming to central Washington state, give me a ring.  ;)

• Like 1

We have an airbnb unit and I don't see HOW the calendar couldn't be updated because airbnb is in charge of the calendar.  

In our case the host said they had family who wanted to use the unit for that same time period and they hadn't updated the calendar to reflect that -- my inquiry prompted them to ask their family if they wanted to come down that weekend.  

But, of course, they could've just said that because they didn't want to mess with it, or it had rented through a different service, or whatever.

Overall the AirBnB system seemed very straightforward to use as a guest.  I'm glad we gave it a try.

• Like 1