Menu

AP Physics

I have 2 questions about AP Physics:

1.  Do students typically take high school honors physics before they take the AP physics course, similar to how students take honors bio, before they take AP bio?

2.  There seems to be 3 AP physics courses, Physics C (Mech), Physics (E+M), and Physics B.  How do these differ?  It looks like by topic, but then what is Physics B?

AP Physics B no longer exists. It was an algebra based course that has now been replaced by AP Physics 1 and 2.

AP Physics C is calculus based. One part covers mechanics, the other electricity and magnetism.

I cannot imagine students taking any other physics before the algebra based course, but it is quite common for students to take an algebra based physics course before taking calculus based physics.

• Like 1

This is my only data point on this.  Apparently the AP Physics teacher at the local high school actively discourages students from taking the regular physics course because it will just "mess them up."

I think the regular physics course is conceptual physics.  I think the reason it will "mess them up" might be that it generally attracts lower achieving students.  But this is all speculation on my part.

Frankly, and this is only a guess, I think that what is really going on is that they want the kids who are potential AP Physics students to take the biology (required), chemistry, AP Bio or Chem, AP Physics sequence.  Taking regular physics would be a step down and AP Physics students are generally the cream of the crop.

• Like 1

Are AP Physics 1and 2 each a semester long?

AP Physics B no longer exists. It was an algebra based course that has now been replaced by AP Physics 1 and 2.

AP Physics C is calculus based. One part covers mechanics, the other electricity and magnetism.

I cannot imagine students taking any other physics before the algebra based course, but it is quite common for students to take an algebra based physics course before taking calculus based physics.

No, that's the thing: they are a year each!

Which is why I don't understand the new test setup: any student who is so strongly interested in physics that he is willing to spend two high school years on it will very likely go into a field in college where he is required to have calculus based physics - so the AP Physics 1 and 2 tests don't count for credit.

I am not sure who they think will take those exams.

Some schools offer AP 1 and then AP C. Still, I am not sure whether those students wouldn't be better served by a one year course that covers 1+2 combined and gives an overview over more topics.

We have discussed this before on this board; you may want to search the archives.

• Like 1

Which is why I don't understand the new test setup: any student who is so strongly interested in physics that he is willing to spend two high school years on it will very likely go into a field in college where he is required to have calculus based physics - so the AP Physics 1 and 2 tests don't count for credit.

Some schools offer AP 1 and then AP C. Still, I am not sure whether those students wouldn't be better served by a one year course that covers 1+2 combined and gives an overview over more topics.

We have discussed this before on this board; you may want to search the archives.

In my searching, I have found a very few schools that offer AP 1 and AP 2 in one year. Most schools offer year-long courses for each.

I believe the scores for last year's 1and 2 tests were very disappointing.

• Like 1

My ds took AP Physics C without a prior physics class. He did have a very strong middle school science foundation and participated in physics-related Science Olympiad events for years before he got to an actual physics class.

My ds also took AP physics C without a prior physics class. We are, however, spreading it out over two years. He did the mechanics part last year and is doing the electricity and magnetism this year.

• Like 1

IMHO  students should take a Conceptual Physics type course* in 8th or 9th prior to taking AP Physics 1. From what I have read, AP Physics 1 does not have real challenging math but does expect full understanding of the principles of Physics (plug and chug answers won't cut it).

AP Physics 1 covers more than just Mechanics.

Against my advice - my nephew is taking Physics C his senior year without a prior HS level Physics course and having a difficult time (he is also taking Calculus and aceing that).  Nephew did very well in his AP courses his junior year.

*  look up Clover Creek 

• Like 1

Yes, I need to spend some more time searching.  Sometimes I am not sure of the key search words that will bring me to relevant posts.

You bring up a good point about which science and engineering students will take those AP exams.  We are only taking a few APs, for the purpose of demonstrating capability, rigorous coursework, and verifying mommy grades.  To us, AP credit will be gravy; perhaps those are the types that would take the current AP courses.

DD is currently hitting Conceptual Physics (8th grade); she likes it, and it's very manageable!  I am thinking mostly of DD's options for AP, but DS is not too far behind her and is more mathematically/engineering inclined, so it's in the back of my head for him, as well.

IMHO  students should take a Conceptual Physics type course* in 8th or 9th prior to taking AP Physics 1. From what I have read, AP Physics 1 does not have real challenging math but does expect full understanding of the principles of Physics (plug and chug answers won't cut it).

Against my advice - my nephew is taking Physics C his senior year without a prior HS level Physics course and having a difficult time (he is also taking Calculus and aceing that).  Nephew did very well in his AP courses his junior year.

*  look up Clover Creek 

My ds also took AP physics C without a prior physics class. We are, however, spreading it out over two years. He did the mechanics part last year and is doing the electricity and magnetism this year.

That's what ds did :) He took Mech concurrently with Calc AB (the teachers worked together) as a junior and the E&M as a senior.

• Like 1

I disagree. If AP Physics 1 and 2 are modeled after algebra based college physics courses (as the College Board claims), it is entirely appropriate as a first high school level course, provided the student has the necessary math foundation. I see no need to go through these basic topics on an even lower level before.

My homeschooled kids take a year of College Physics in 9thgrade as their first high school science. It is comparable to 10th grade physics back home.

• Like 2