Menu

BFSU: Adding some forms of output?

I'm heading out to our annual evaluation with a state licensed teacher today.  She is a homeschool mom, and I think she will be happy with our portfolio in general.

As I was pulling it together, though, I realized that BFSU doesn't create much of a paper trail the way I'm doing it!  I really like BFSU because I see my kid (3rd grade) thinking deeply because of it.  I ended up printing some photos of a few activities. 

How do you (or do you) document science activities while using BFSU? 

I make little 6 page mini booklets for each lesson, and my kids draw or write summaries what they learned. Then they show dad and sort of narrate the lesson back to him with the help of their little booklet. My sister, who also uses BFSU, also takes photos of her kids doing the lesson.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We don't use BFSU, but our science program doesn't require a lot of writing, either. I have my kid notebook the lesson, drawing the picture of the lab on the front of the page, and dictating to me what he's learned after the week on the back of the page.  Since each lesson builds on the last it helps him to have a book to look back through and remember all the details.

• Like 1

I have made copywork for each lesson which sum up the main principles we covered. The kids copy each principle and draw a picture illustrating it.

I made each child a science binder with tabs for the four threads (for diling the copywork/illustrations) as well as tabs for other sections including their leaf collections. They add to the binder year by year which gives nice continuity and review.

• Like 2

We use a composition book (the kind where the pages are sewn in) as a science notebook. They write important terms, description of activity and results.

We do this too. DS narrates, I'll scribe, DS draws a picture.

Lately I've been printing worksheets of life cycles and pasting those into the comp book for him to do.

• Like 1

I also do what seven daisies does. If you are using the grade 3-5 book, there is a list of what should be recorded for each lesson. I also choose one of the discussion questions and have Ds write a paragraph about it. He keeps a table of contents in the front with page numbers, as in a real lab notebook.

• Like 1

We do what Ms. Ivy does but only one book per thread per term because my almost 7 yo DD is still a pretty reluctant writer. In them we draw pictures, write terms, and ask questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

• Like 1

For the first book I summarize the important things we talked about and then dc draws a picture on the top half of the page.

For books 2 and 3 I made up some worksheets of my own to record each lesson. In book 2 they still requested to room to draw a picture, in book 3 we've moved away from that a bit.

They have them all in one binder and it is great for going back to review precedent lessons.

• Like 1