Menu

Common App:School Profile vs. Homeschool Questions

Joules

So I have (mostly) finished writing very nice detailed answers to the following questions:

Please provide any information about the applicant's homeschool experience and environment that you believe would be helpful to the reader (e.g. educational philosophy, motivation for homeschooling, instruction setting, etc.).

Please explain the grading scale or other methods of evaluation.

If the student has taken courses from a distance learning program, traditional secondary school, or institution of higher education, please list the course title and content, sponsoring institution, instruction setting and schedule, and frequency of interactions with instructors and fellow students (once per day, week, etc.). In addition, if the student has taken any standardized testing other than those listed on page 2 of the Common Application, please also describe below.

And now I'm seeing that the school profile is something separate.  Everything that I can think of to put in the school profile is already covered in the above.

How did you separate out the information?  Or should I just repeat myself in a more formal way (since I can format a document nicely) in the school profile?

(BTW, I'm NOT loving this.  We have an EA deadline Oct. 15, and I've gotten rather behind!)

Thanks! That's great.  I just don't have more to say.  I feel like this is so high stakes that I don't want to mess up but the truth is rather boring...He learns stuff in a format most suited to the subject, I give him EOC/AP/SAT test and grade it, repeat.

Another question-

I was looking at the sample School Profile at the College Board.  It seems like the school name would be important.  We do have a school name for places that need that, but I think that other places don't want a "fake" name.  Since the Common App goes to multiple places, I can't decide whether to put a school name on the transcript and school profile or not.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm working on our school profile and the supplemental questions today.  I'm wondering if you all addressed this part of the supplemental question " schedule, and frequency of interactions with instructors and fellow students (once per day, week, etc.)."?

My son took three homeschool co-op classes; for these, I listed the frequency of meetings in the course descriptions document.  However, he has also taken several classes at the local high school and thirteen at the local college. Do I need to list the frequency of these classes too?

Thank you to everyone who has been posting Common App tips on the board!

Kathy

aka..stressed out mom :)

I can't remember how I did it last time, but this time I decided to put everything in the School Profile I uploaded as a two page document and then write (see School Profile) for the first two boxes and (see course descriptions uploaded as second transcript) for the third.

For a name/title, I always use LastName Homeschool.

The school profile is optional, no red star. So, if you have nothing more to say, you don't have to.

I did something like Angela above, and wrote my school info in my own way and then put "see school profile" in the homeschool questions because that worked for me.