Menu

Alternative to Hakim's Story of Science Vol 3 - Einstein?

Can anyone help me find a good, readable, living book/trade book alternative to Hakim's Story of Science: Einstein? Something that covers 20th century history of science/physics in a broad & conceptual way? This is for my 8th grader's Science Literacy/History of Science year.  We want to cover cosmology/astronomy, quantum physics, relativity, etc.  This doesn't all have to be in the same book - you could recommend your favorite book in either or all topics.

Hakim's book covers what I wanted to cover, but dd finds the book very annoying - both the fussiness of the pages, with all the distracting sidebars, etc., and also we both hate the fact that she writes in the present tense.  These are not insurmountable obstacles, but if I can find some alternatives, I'd like to offer them.

I am perusing the pages of Newton at the Center and yes, her usage of present tense is beyond annoying. I couldn't stand her history books either. I was so hoping the Little History of Science was a good alternative. :(

I guess I should look at that again.  Does it go all the way up to the modern era? That's what I feel like we're lacking, we've studied a lot of science/history of science pre 20th century, but not much (outside of astronomy) 20th century discoveries. We'll cover genetics/biology stuff in the second half of the year, but I wanted to hit on major discoveries in Physics during the first semester.

Have you looked at Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything (also available on audiobook)? You want the illustrated hardcover or illustrated paperback not the unillustrated one. This is something that you'd want to preview to make sure it is right for your family.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DU80KJK?keywords=bill%20bryson%20a%20short%20history%20of%20nearly%20everything&qid=1443919356&ref_=sr_1_5&s=books&sr=1-5

Also Theories for Everything by John Langine (published by National Geographic).

http://www.amazon.com/Theories-Everything-Illustrated-History-Science/dp/0792239121/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1443919423&sr=1-1&keywords=theories+for+everything

Neither is specific to the 20th century.

• Like 1

I think Bill Brysons' book would be great.  You could just start in the middle. I find it very readable and engaging, and it gave me a good overview.  I was incredibly disappointed with the entire series by Hakim.  I had such great hopes that I convinced the library to buy it a number of years ago.  But then every time I got it out, I just could not get through even a few pages of it.  Very bitsy.  Drove me nuts.

Ruth in NZ

• Like 3

Have you looked at Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything (also available on audiobook)? You want the illustrated hardcover or illustrated paperback not the unillustrated one. This is something that you'd want to preview to make sure it is right for your family.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DU80KJK?keywords=bill%20bryson%20a%20short%20history%20of%20nearly%20everything&qid=1443919356&ref_=sr_1_5&s=books&sr=1-5

Also Theories for Everything by John Langine (published by National Geographic).

http://www.amazon.com/Theories-Everything-Illustrated-History-Science/dp/0792239121/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1443919423&sr=1-1&keywords=theories+for+everything

Neither is specific to the 20th century.

I think Bill Brysons' book would be great.  You could just start in the middle. I find it very readable and engaging, and it gave me a good overview.  I was incredibly disappointed with the entire series by Hakim.  I had such great hopes that I convinced the library to buy it a number of years ago.  But then every time I got it out, I just could not get through even a few pages of it.  Very bitsy.  Drove me nuts.

Ruth in NZ

I have the newer, illustrated version of Bryson's book. Why did I not think of just starting in the middle and reading the parts that cover the 20th century? Good idea, I'll take a look at this.  I also put the Langine book on hold, thanks Kalmia.