Menu

Georgia Southern for a writer from out of state?

KarenNC

I would appreciate input on Georgia Southern University. My daughter is pretty high stats (already qualifies for their merit tuition waiver for out-of-state, and hopefully will continue to improve) and should be competitive for top merit scholarships. We're definitely looking at schools that might offer her a large amount of merit aid. She isn't interested in a pressure-cooker kind of program, but does want challenge and peers.

Her current goal is to be a writer and she is interested in their English/creative writing program, but also has interest in women's/gender/sexuality studies and modern history. Her long-term extracurricular passions are aikido (they have a club on campus affiliated with our association) and working tech in theater.

Does their English program have a good reputation?

Any opininons on their honors program?

Would an out of state student be really out of place?

How walkable is the campus? It's hard to tell from the map (looks really spread out0 and we're about 4 hours away, so haven't made it down there yet.

Do students tend to stay on campus on the weekends?

Is Greek life a big thing on campus? She isn't interested in joining a sorority and would prefer a school where the majority of the social activities don't revolve around Greek activities.

Anything else that would be good to know?

Thanks!

I would appreciate input on Georgia Southern University. My daughter is pretty high stats (already qualifies for their merit tuition waiver for out-of-state, and hopefully will continue to improve) and should be competitive for top merit scholarships. We're definitely looking at schools that might offer her a large amount of merit aid. She isn't interested in a pressure-cooker kind of program, but does want challenge and peers.

Her current goal is to be a writer and she is interested in their English/creative writing program, but also has interest in women's/gender/sexuality studies and modern history. Her long-term extracurricular passions are aikido (they have a club on campus affiliated with our association) and working tech in theater.

Does their English program have a good reputation?

Any opininons on their honors program?

Would an out of state student be really out of place?

How walkable is the campus? It's hard to tell from the map (looks really spread out0 and we're about 4 hours away, so haven't made it down there yet.

Do students tend to stay on campus on the weekends?

Is Greek life a big thing on campus? She isn't interested in joining a sorority and would prefer a school where the majority of the social activities don't revolve around Greek activities.

Anything else that would be good to know?

Thanks!

I'm not familiar with GSU, but the common data set will answer some of these questions, or at least give you an idea:

http://em.georgiasouthern.edu/osra/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/cds14-15_3.pdf

93% of freshmen live on campus, but only 28% of undergraduates overall - which is about the number of students they have housing available for, so it's not likely that housing is guaranteed beyond freshman year. 

About 13% are in fraternities and 16% in sororities.

The 25/75 ACT spread is 21-25, with 4% scoring at 30 or above.

Six year graduation rate is 51%.

Once you get some fast facts from CDS, niche.com can be useful for student ratings (taken with a grain of salt, of course, but helpful). You have to dig for some of the info but it can be helpful.

• Like 1

I was an out of state student at Georgia Southern many years ago and earned my degree there. We are also looking at my son attending there next fall. I am pretty familiar with Statesboro too.

It is a party school but easy to avoid all that. There are great social opportunities that do not revolve around sororities. Be aware that GSU football is huge in Statesboro.

I have heard good things about the honors program and have a friend whose daughter is in it but don't know anything about the English program.

The campus has expanded quite a bit since I graduated and would not consider it an easily walkable school. I think there is a bus system now. A bike would be excellent way to get around campus.

• Like 1

I don't know much about it, but a good friend's dd recently graduated from there. She had a problem the first year with her assigned roommates. Drinking and drug use were serious issues. This was in the dorms. The school was not accommodating with her need to change room situations. I think she just had to put up with it. It made being prepared for class (sleep) difficult. She did stay there the whole 4 years. Things did get better when she was able to choose her own roommates.

• Like 2