Menu

Aops "discrete math" options for 12th grader?

He used LOF for both Algebra's and MUS Geometry (also did honors lessons)   He isn't crazy about taking Pre-Calc but loves the look of the Aops Intro to counting and Probability.  He is by no means gifted in math but I do want to it to be somewhat of a challenge.

*** His plans right now are a 2 year degree in computer programming along with some certifications...with the possibility of a 4 year degree as some point down the road if he finds it is necessary.

I was reading that these courses are usually combined to make a credit? Would love some feedback/advice on this direction as I am not sure what the best choice might be.

Thanks

Debbie

Intro to C&P is a one semester course. It should not be challenging for a 12th grader; it is often done as  a break from algebra 1 in the middle grades.

He could combine Intro to C&P with Number Theory for a full credit, or look into Intermediate C&P (I am not familiar with that text, so can't say whether it can be done without first going through Intro).

ETA: Not sure I understand your post correctly. I would do such a course in addition to, but not in lieu of , pre-calculus.

I agree that Intro to C&P will not be difficult for most 12th graders. You could combine it with Intro to NT like regentrude suggested. In my very humble opinion, I would suggest having your son take a look at the AoPS Precalculus text. See if your library has it. Some local homeschool-friendly bookstores (depending on where you live) might carry it too. Both my son and DH really like this book. My son, who skipped precalculus by taking in depth trig with algebra 2, uses it often to refer to when he needs help with harder problems in matrices, complex numbers etc. My son doesn't use the entire AoPS Precalculus text but likes reading and working on sections according to need and interest. If you really want to avoid precalculus, perhaps this is one way of giving your son more in depth preparation towards his programming goals.

Another opinion - I wouldn't recommend AoPS Precalc for someone not that interested in math. It is a very good book, but hard.

I do think AoPS Counting and Probability and Number Theory combined would make a credit for your son. I'm not sure this is the best choice, as I also would recommend moving on to precalc.

If he is considering going into a Computer Science type degree or field, I would agree with the suggestion of pre-Calc. My ds is majoring on Comp Sci with a Cognitive Science track and the more advanced Comp Sci classes require Calc. Actually, my ds is required to take so much upper level math that he could easily get a minor in Applied Math by just taking a few more elective math classes. The advisors and Comp Sci professors we spoke to when we were planning his high school years, kept telling us to do more math and less programming languages. They said understanding the logic and the math involved is far more important than picking up another language.

In the end, though, this is all guess work and I would contact the schools you are looking into and ask what they recommend.

• Like 2

+1 the suggestions to re-consider avoiding pre-calc.  If his goals include anything related to CompSci, you'll need all the math you can get.  It will eventually need to include pre-cal and calculas.  I'd also second a PP'ers advice to not worry about including additional programming courses in HighSchool.  The languages are, honestly, the easy/quick part about learning to be a software engineer and having extra experience in one or more of them won't provide you with that much of a leg-up.

I've worked through the intermediate AoPS C&P book, myself, so I can perhaps provide a bit of feedback on that.  I would be possible to skip the intro if you were really motivated, but you'll need access to some introductory text for reference.  I think pre-calc is more useful, though.

As a side comment - why a 2 year programming course vs a 4-year CompSci degree?  Have you/he looked at jobs he'd like to have and verified that they don't expect a BS CompSci?

A 4-year Bachelors degree will open more doors than a 2-year Associates (or perhaps it is that the 2yr will close the doors while a 4yr leaves them open?).  What certifications are being discussed?  I don't remember there being too many that will replace a 4 year degree, unless they are backed up with multiple years (2+) of real world experience.  With the job market being what it is, an employer will likely take a 4 yr over a 2 yr, so there may not be any experience to back up those certs.  Note also that the base starting salary will be higher for BS as a general rule.

For a CS major there will be discrete math course requirements in addition to the usual Calculus (1,2,3, diff eq sometimes), so NT in high school is a good idea.  There's not a lot of C&P work unless you take them as electives.

He used LOF for both Algebra's and MUS Geometry (also did honors lessons)   He isn't crazy about taking Pre-Calc but loves the look of the Aops Intro to counting and Probability.  He is by no means gifted in math but I do want to it to be somewhat of a challenge.

*** His plans right now are a 2 year degree in computer programming along with some certifications...with the possibility of a 4 year degree as some point down the road if he finds it is necessary.

I was reading that these courses are usually combined to make a credit? Would love some feedback/advice on this direction as I am not sure what the best choice might be.

Thanks

Debbie

So as of now he is going to take Pre-calculus, not sure what to use though.  He's smart but I would not call him "gifted" in math so something like Aops Pre-calc might be too difficult..along with some of the others I have seen mentioned as "honors level"

I know a lot of you say TT is not rigorous enough yet I have seen others say their child did well on ACT/SAT and they had used TT throughout high school.  For this particular field I understand where the TT may not be challenging enough... but he learns best that way... video instruction vs plain textbook.

Any suggestions? recommendations? 

Debbie

I know a lot of you say TT is not rigorous enough yet I have seen others say their child did well on ACT/SAT and they had used TT throughout high school.

It's not clear, at least to me, that doing well on the math-portion of the SAT is the same as having had a 'rigorous' math education from the prospective of someone heading into a mathmetically-based field.  The problems on the SAT tend to measure accuracy (and to some degree speed) over a limited range of mathmetics and problems that aren't extremely difficult.  For example, I don't see any trig or linear algebra listed in the SAT math topics list and they won't make you do proofs.

if he learns well from TT, maybe the thing to do is start with that and then go through something else?

• Like 2

Then I would do precalc. Precalc at the college is going to be very very hard if he hasn't done algebra 2 for a year.

If he really *likes* the look of the c and p class, though, he could totally do that as well -- or after -- sort of like dessert -- I would give half a credit and call it intro to counting and probability if he only did the intro book.