Menu

Has anyone flown on Delta recently?

Luanne

If you want to play "bag roulette" to potentially save a bag fee, I recently flew Delta with a roller suitcase carry-on, along with my personal item carry-on. As I sat at the gate, they said the flight was quite full, so they offered to check bags at the gate for free, in the interest of speeding up the boarding process.

I've also brought one larger suitcase or duffel and packed more than one person's belongings into it, to save on a bag fee. As a previous poster mentioned, just make sure it's under the max weight.

Erica in OR

If your bag is small enough to fit in the overhead, take it to the gate with you.  You can take one carry on bag and one personal item (purse, laptop bag, etc.)  I usually take a roller bag for the overhead and a backpack for my laptop that I then shove my purse into just before boarding.  

If you're boarding zone is something higher than Zone 2, chances are good that there won't be any room in the overhead bin for your bag.  No big deal.  Nearly every flight the gate agents are asking for volunteers to check their bags, and if you do it at the gate they don't charge you.  You just pick the bag up at the baggage claim like you would if you had checked it in the first place.

If your bag is too big for the overhead, you'll need to go ahead and check it and pay the fee, but if you can consolidate, you can avoid fees.  

If you want to play "bag roulette" to potentially save a bag fee, I recently flew Delta with a roller suitcase carry-on, along with my personal item carry-on. As I sat at the gate, they said the flight was quite full, so they offered to check bags at the gate for free, in the interest of speeding up the boarding process.

I've also brought one larger suitcase or duffel and packed more than one person's belongings into it, to save on a bag fee. As a previous poster mentioned, just make sure it's under the max weight.

Erica in OR

We were posting at the same time!

It's not really roulette, because I can't remember a flight they didn't do this on in recent memory, and I flight Delta at least once most weeks of the year (extensive business travel).