Menu

Could I start my 8 year old 3rd grader in level one of AAS

momof7

My son has been using spelling workout for spelling but is just checking boxes and filling in blanks. Not really learning much spelling. My 6 year old is starting 1st this year and instead of another round of spelling workout, I am thinking of trying out AAS with her. I was wondering if I couldn't just get level one and teach them both at the same time. Would that work with the way it's set up? Maybe then see where my 8 year old is and move him through faster to the next level if he is beyond that? I didn't want to have to spend the extra money on two levels and also was worried about gaps in his spelling with this program if it builds through the levels.  What do you guys think? Also, I have an 8th grade boy who is very reluctant to do school because he is really into working on his project cars, hunting, shooting etc....school drives him crazy now so spelling workout is easy for me to give him a workbook and say do these sheets but, I am worried that he is just frantically filling in boxes to get it done and not learning how to spell well. Would there be an easy way to plug him into the AAS program that wouldn't be too intense or take too much time? Just brainstorming how to improve our spelling results. My older girls thrived on the Spelling workout workbook approach. My younger kids aren't absorbing it or learning much it seems.

Thanks. Julie Smith

Just an alternative:

Is your 6 yo reading well?

I agree that you want to start at the beginning to mak sure all the rules are learned, especially since the lessons build on each other. BUT your older is going to fly through level 1, and if your 6 yo is reading well, they both will. Level 2 has a lovely review of everything gone over in level 1, and is very detailed. I would be very tempted to start there but camp out as long as necessary to make sure the rules are learned before heading into level 2 material. Much of level 1 is so very basic, such as phonograms. You could still purchase the student packet for level 1 so you would have a complete set of tiles, phonogram cards, sound cards etc...

That is what they recommend for an 8-year-old, however my 8-year-old hated it so much that we had to drop it. He found it a waste of time and insulting and actually chose to spell worse while we did it. You need to radically accelerate (maybe 1-5 minutes per lesson, tops) if your 8-year-old is anything like mine was. Maybe if we had done a level per week for a month he wouldn't have hated it...

I think AAS needs to create a "Transition Lessons" like RightStart for their curriculum.

Emily