Menu

DYS Young Scholars - test scores only?

dauphin

This has been on and off my radar for years but I'm back thinking about it again and it appears that the admissions criteria has changed? Is my assumption correct that if DD has the test scores, those should be sufficient for admission without supplementary material?

She was within 2 points on the WISC, with possible ceiling effects on two of the subtests within that Index. I have asked the psychologist for additional information about those scores. However, the test is over two years old so we would need to retest anyway before we submit...but...$$$.

Do you mean EXPLORE? She did that and missed that cutoff by a couple of points too.  I think it may not have been her best, we didn't really prepare AT ALL, like - I pulled out the envelope the night before the test - after she was in bed. DOH!

She is scheduled to take the ACT in February, as well. I wish there was a way to semi-accurately predict her ACT from her EXPLORE performance...

Another thought just occurred to me - her highest score on the WISC was on the Perceptual Reasoning Index, I'm realizing this might not translate as well to standardized (verbal-language-based) testing. Duh! (Although she has always tested very highly on -grade-based-level testing, of course!!!!)

When we applied for Calvin over ten years ago, his test scores met the criteria but they wanted other material too: I sent some edited family videos, as well as some written description.

That is what we did as well, but the criteria have recently changed. I believe there is still an application form, but a portfolio is no longer required.

• Like 2

I've heard on the Davidson public forums and GHF that a lot of homeschoolers who applied with just test scores (in the 2 test score days) were asked for work samples before being accepted, especially if the test scores were right on or above the cutoff. It may be worth it to check what people who have gotten in since the requirements changed are actually submitting.

Not finding anything in the posts, guess I could post a question but there wasn't much activity on the posts on the first page or so that specifically addressed the new requirements.

I guess I could just wait on the ACT before worrying about retesting (for the out-of-date WISC).

Okay. After talking with the psychologist, she confirmed that DD had hit ceilings on both of her highest subtests within her highest index (PRI), and thanks to a calculation error that she discovered, DD actually DID meet the cutoff. DOH! 6 months too late! 

I also went looking again at what DYS offers and now I'm eyeing the potential benefits of the private discussion forums; I'd really rather not start posting scores and other observations of DD quite so publicly. Nor would I like to lay out the other concerns I am having about schooling decisions (re-evaluating homeschooling...) and why.... And I find myself anxious to get some counsel sooner rather than later (February/March is a LONG way away and I would like to have decisions made about next school year well before then.) I have a call in to GDC and am thinking about requesting a consultation....

Okay. After talking with the psychologist, she confirmed that DD had hit ceilings on both of her highest subtests within her highest index (PRI), and thanks to a calculation error that she discovered, DD actually DID meet the cutoff. DOH! 6 months too late!

Get your psychologist to give you the corrected scores in a new report. Use that report to apply since you can use IQ scores only to apply to DYS.

http://www.davidsongifted.org/youngscholars/Article/Davidson_Young_Scholars___Qualification_Criteria_384.aspx

ETA:

Oops, didn't realise the test was more than 2 years old so corrected scores won't help.

ETA:

Would your daughter mind taking the ACT in October or November instead? It is not too late to change testing dates.