Menu

Weight training for women

lewber

New Rules of Lifting for Women is good if you are young and don't have any accommodations you might need to make for a bum knee, cranky shoulder, etc. Another book by the same authors is New Rules of Lifting for Life. That has many more choices for each category of lifting. The intent is to create choices so you can make accommodations. There is also a Facebook group for New Rules of Lifting for Women which has some very helpful resources, knowledgeable women, and occasionally, one of the authors pops in to answer a question. 

You Are Your Own Gym is a good book on bodyweight exercises. 

I would suggest that you look over a few different program, decide what makes sense, and then do 2 things: Run through the program with no weight or very light weights to teach yourself what the moves should look like. (You can even videotape yourself to check your form.) If it's a bodyweight exercise, just do a few reps to get the idea. Look for videos on youtube of each specific exercise. You can get very good pointers about proper form that way and seeing people actually do it is better than 2 photos in a book. 

All of that would be in prep for meeting with a personal trainer. Unless you have lots of extra spending money, they are pricey. So if you could go into a personal trainer with a lot of your ground work done, you may be able to get what you need with two sessions. In session 1, I would show your plan (or better yet send it ahead of time) and have the trainer watch you go through each movement and help you choose the appropriate weight. In session 2, you would have worked with that at least a couple times, then come back and have her/him check your form again. As I said, if funds aren't a problem, you could just work with a personal trainer, but if you need to save, I still think it's important for someone knowledgeable to check your form to prevent injury. If you join a gym, you can often get feedback on one particular exercise without setting up a whole appt, but that would be just a few minutes of their time. First rule is "Do no harm," says she who has taken time off because she hurt her shoulder...

• Like 3

Thank you - the book is what I read about on here, but the other two options are helpful. I like the ones that don't need weights. I would like a simple routine that I can learn and not have to keep referring to a picture, app, etc. I have thought about getting a trainer, but the introvert in me is trying to find something I can do on my own, alone. :laugh:  I just do better with exercise that way. 

New Rules of Lifting for Women is good if you are young and don't have any accommodations you might need to make for a bum knee, cranky shoulder, etc. Another book by the same authors is New Rules of Lifting for Life. That has many more choices for each category of lifting. The intent is to create choices so you can make accommodations. There is also a Facebook group for New Rules of Lifting for Women which has some very helpful resources, knowledgeable women, and occasionally, one of the authors pops in to answer a question.

You Are Your Own Gym is a good book on bodyweight exercises.

I would suggest that you look over a few different program, decide what makes sense, and then do 2 things: Run through the program with no weight or very light weights to teach yourself what the moves should look like. (You can even videotape yourself to check your form.) If it's a bodyweight exercise, just do a few reps to get the idea. Look for videos on youtube of each specific exercise. You can get very good pointers about proper form that way and seeing people actually do it is better than 2 photos in a book.

All of that would be in prep for meeting with a personal trainer. Unless you have lots of extra spending money, they are pricey. So if you could go into a personal trainer with a lot of your ground work done, you may be able to get what you need with two sessions. In session 1, I would show your plan (or better yet send it ahead of time) and have the trainer watch you go through each movement and help you choose the appropriate weight. In session 2, you would have worked with that at least a couple times, then come back and have her/him check your form again. As I said, if funds aren't a problem, you could just work with a personal trainer, but if you need to save, I still think it's important for someone knowledgeable to check your form to prevent injury. If you join a gym, you can often get feedback on one particular exercise without setting up a whole appt, but that would be just a few minutes of their time. First rule is "Do no harm," says she who has taken time off because she hurt her shoulder...

Thanks for the good advice, Laurie.

Thank you - the book is what I read about on here, but the other two options are helpful. I like the ones that don't need weights. I would like a simple routine that I can learn and not have to keep referring to a picture, app, etc. I have thought about getting a trainer, but the introvert in me is trying to find something I can do on my own, alone. :laugh:  I just do better with exercise that way. 

NROL books use weights except for planks and push-ups, so you would probably like Your Body Your Gym better. 

If you just want to get started, you could do the following 4 and then add to them: 

Plank: work up to 60 sec

Push up: If you can't do a full one, here is a progression: Wall push-ups, push-ups on inclines (higher like countertop down to lower like bottom of steps. Change as you can do a set of 12 or so at the level you're working on) knee push-ups, full push-ups.

Pulling exercise of some sort: I do rows, but they involve weights or bands. Not sure a bodyweight pulling exercise, but you do need one otherwise, you get an imbalance of muscles on front with muscles on back. 

Squat: for glutes, thighs, calves, etc. 

• Like 1