Menu

US News 2016 Rankings

Teachin'Mine

I don't really think numbers ever change much.  It amazes me how much emphasis some students and parents put on these.

Granted, the Top 50 (to me) tend to be a different caliber than 150 - 200+, but is #50 better than #51?  Or #20 better than #30? #5 better than #6?  I have my doubts.

Then, of course, when one looks at a specific major - these overall rankings can be totally useless.  I found that out when looking for Marine Science.  ;)

But out of curiosity, my guys are going (or went) to:

#9 Regional Colleges (South)

#33 National Universities

#127 National Liberal Arts Colleges

I think that put my oldest in the "lesser" college, but he loved the school and got a job using his degree (business) directly from school, so... I think he turned out ok!

To me, fit means everything.

And to anyone considering... I still think Eckerd (#127) beats pretty much everyone when it comes to undergrad Marine Science.  ;)

• Like 6

I admit that I find the rankings interesting, but entertaining as well.  Yes most changes are subtle, but over time there have been some interesting movements of some colleges.

The overall rankings helped me to see a college relative to others, and to discover some I wasn't at all familiar with.  I agree that a point or two or even ten or twenty may not be at all significant, and if one school is a better fit than another, then the ranking really isn't important at all.  Creekland what you did is help your sons to find the best school for them with their individual interests.  That beats any generalized rankings. 

One thing I noticed this year is that there seem to be more colleges which are tied for rankings.  Maybe this is an acknowledgement of how little separates them and that it's more accurate to look at tiers rather than individual rankings. 

• Like 2

DD #29

DS Regional #99 (which is a crazy ranking compared to the other campus at #36 but I know the silly things that are causing this despite the awards and recognition is campus has been getting). He will graduate from main campus though - he's only at the regional extension for one or at most two years - so he'll end with U of MI Ann Arbor.

Next ds has on his short list schools that rank from National #29 down to regional #85 and all because of the specific emphasis within his major and his requirement of research boats currently on Great Lakes waterways.

Now, that said, it's the US News and well some of there ranking criteria is not important to us. We look at specific criteria for future employment opportunities related to the major, what industry experts say about the program, where employers are hiring from,  and a number of "good fit" factors. So I actually kind of don't care a fig about the ranking once we figure out the best fit and course of study for each one of the kids.

• Like 2

I also found the US News rankings on Best Value universities and colleges interesting.  According to their methodology they take into account the ratio of quality to price (obviously subjective as it's based on their ratings), percent of undergraduates receiving need based aid, and the average amount the total cost was discounted for students receiving need based scholarships and/or grants.  The schools listed are divided into national universities, liberal arts colleges, regional universities, and regional colleges.

• Like 1

DD #29

DS Regional #99 (which is a crazy ranking compared to the other campus at #36 but I know the silly things that are causing this despite the awards and recognition is campus has been getting). He will graduate from main campus though - he's only at the regional extension for one or at most two years - so he'll end with U of MI Ann Arbor.

Next ds has on his short list schools that rank from National #29 down to regional #85 and all because of the specific emphasis within his major and his requirement of research boats currently on Great Lakes waterways.

Now, that said, it's the US News and well some of there ranking criteria is not important to us. We look at specific criteria for future employment opportunities related to the major, what industry experts say about the program, where employers are hiring from,  and a number of "good fit" factors. So I actually kind of don't care a fig about the ranking once we figure out the best fit and course of study for each one of the kids.

It's wonderful how they've seen to his needs and are allowing him to start at the more local one and then transfer to Ann Arbor.  Nice!

Interesting I didn't see Grove City or Patrick Hentry College. I know they don't accept fed funds, but neither does Hilssdale and it's there. Maybe they just won't submit info for the reports.

Some schools also do not offer enough majors or maintain an accreditation that qualifies them to be ranked. Kentucky Mountain Bible College comes to mind.

• Like 2

It's wonderful how they've seen to his needs and are allowing him to start at the more local one and then transfer to Ann Arbor. Nice!

It is embarassing a little because as 4H leaders we are required to be "Spartans" kind of, but the Wolverines really have taken my wounded bird under their wings and have proven themselves worthy. Shhhhh...don't tell MSU I said that because we need a favor from them on behalf of our club's underwater robotics project!

• Like 3

For comparison, these rankings take into account teaching and other factors in addition to research:

https://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2015/world-ranking#/sort/0/direction/asc

Thanks fo rlinking this - interesting!  Not at all familiar with Rockefeller University, graduate level only, and it's listed at #33. Small with only 195 students, but in a great area in NYC.

I think that the US News does take teaching factors into account in their rankings.  Looked it up and 20% is based on faculty resources.  Included in the computation are class sizes (less than 20 and more than 50), faculty salary, proportion of professors with the highest degree in their fields, the student to faculty ratio, and the proportion of faculty who are full time. 

I'm sure that the teaching also comes into play when the colleges are rated by peers. For looking at this aspect, I like to see actual student reviews of their professors as a whole and ones specific to their major(s).

• Like 2

I love rankings, even with their issues, which are legion. The economist in me, of course, notes what a bargain some of the state schools are, especially for their in-state residents. I am right there with you bemoaning the high cost of higher education, but when a Georgia resident can attend the thirty-sixth best university in the US for under $15K (or for nearly nothing with the HOPE scholarship), I know I need to shut up and count my blessings. And, again, when I retire to Wyoming, you all should move here (or Michigan, NC or Virginia). But, kidding aside, it is remarkable that so many of the supposed best are state schools. And it kills me to say this, but go Yellow Jackets!

• Like 4

The economist in me, of course, notes what a bargain some of the state schools are, especially for their in-state residents. 

And some of us wish our states would wake up and assist our in-state students with the cost of our state or state related schools.

Even in-state at Pitt's med school would cost us more than some top notch private med schools (like Johns Hopkins).

Why PA, why?

I take a little bit of consolation that our weather is better than yours most of the year... so I still like our state, but not this aspect of it!

OTOH, my boys have found nice private schools they like, and we've paid less than our state related (flagship) schools, so there's that.

• Like 3

And some of us wish our states would wake up and assist our in-state students with the cost of our state or state related schools.

Even in-state at Pitt's med school would cost us more than some top notch private med schools (like Johns Hopkins).

Why PA, why?

I take a little bit of consolation that our weather is better than yours most of the year... so I still like our state, but not this aspect of it!

OTOH, my boys have found nice private schools they like, and we've paid less than our state related (flagship) schools, so there's that.

Oh, I have lusted after in-state VA for ages, especially with William & Mary, which I think DD would have looooovved. But, ultimately, I'm pleased that we have St. Mary's as an in-state option, which does ultimately seem ideal for her. Now I am already turning my attention to the next kid in line...guess I can worry about *that* for the next two years...

• Like 2

Btw, I'll keep the Wolverine secret. Hubby is a U of M grad. Between him and 5 sons and lots of sports here...there aren't many merciful things said about MSU in our home. Bummer for me, bc I'd like a couple of our kids to take a look at MSU.

We toured MSU this summer and one of my kids said it was either the best (or near to best) presentation of any they went on.  The tour guides and presenters were personable, knowledgeable, informative, responsive and professional.  They ranked their guides at MSU higher than the ones they had at schools like UVa.  

I don't think my oldest will end up applying but that is based on a program specific issue rather than an overall impression of the school.

And you can always point out who has the ranked football team this year...   :laugh: