Menu

Vocabulary suggestions for 12 y/o?

seema

Dd struggles with vocabulary, we tried WW online course for a month now but she hates it, and it did not seem to help her.

She is doing easy grammar and daily grams, for grammar.

EIW for writing. What can we use to improve vocabulary? Is there a curriculum that makes it fun ?

Also need to really improve reading comprehension, any thoughts what can we use?

She is more an auditory learner. 

Appreciate any help!

One approach that you could use, is to have her learn the commonly used Latin and Greek prefixes and suffixes that are used in English.

Learning about 3 or 4 day.

Which basically involves thinking of words that use the prefix/ suffix, and what meaning it gives to them.

After about 4 or 5 weeks, she will probably be able to work out what most words in the dictionary mean.

I'll add a link, where 4 pages can be printed out.

Which can also often be used as an alternative to a dictionary, when coming across a new word when reading.

http://www.readingrockets.org/article/root-words-roots-and-affixes

• Like 2

If you have a tablet, you might look for vocabulary apps.

We have Vocabulary from Classical Roots. It is very dry. I am not happy.

You can also keep a vocabulary notebook. When she runs into a word she doesn't know, she could copy it into her notebook and review  the words periodically.

One approach that you could use, is to have her learn the commonly used Latin and Greek prefixes and suffixes that are used in English.

Learning about 3 or 4 day.

Which basically involves thinking of words that use the prefix/ suffix, and what meaning it gives to them.

After about 4 or 5 weeks, she will probably be able to work out what most words in the dictionary mean.

I'll add a link, where 4 pages can be printed out.

Which can also often be used as an alternative to a dictionary, when coming across a new word when reading.

http://www.readingrockets.org/article/root-words-roots-and-affixes

Thanks a buch! I will try to use the posted list, this should help!