Menu

Writing course descriptions--a few quick questions

For outside courses, I list the instructor's name and copy the course description from the catalog of the provider.

When I list a textbook, I only list title and author. In most cases, the edition is completely irrelevant, as is the ISBN. (I am aware that some institutions/organizations may request this info specifically. I have no idea what they want with it.) And the publisher info is redundant, since each textbook is typically published by one unique publisher.

• Like 2

For outside courses, I list the instructor's name and copy the course description from the catalog of the provider.

When I list a textbook, I only list title and author. In most cases, the edition is completely irrelevant, as is the ISBN. (I am aware that some institutions/organizations may request this info specifically. I have no idea what they want with it.) And the publisher info is redundant, since each textbook is typically published by one unique publisher.

Same here.  No one at the 11 schools my kids applied to (and were accepted at) asked for anything more. 

• Like 1

I included the title followed by the author's last name in parentheses. I didn't include an instructor's name, though I did include the name of the school/organization if applicable.

Here's an example for an outside course:

Introduction to Statistics (MATH 162) (0.5 credit)

Description from MCCC course catalog: “A basic course to acquaint the student with the theory and application of statistical methods to engineering, health, social and business problems. Topics considered are graphical representation of data, central tendency measures, bivariate data, probability, distribution, sampling, hypothesis testing and correlation aspects. Out of classroom use of microcomputers will be expected.â€

Materials list: Elementary Statistics (Johnson)

And an example from a homemade course:

Programming III (0.5 credit)

Additional work in C++. Use of standard programming algorithms, then specific study in C++ concepts as they relate to robotics, including robot kinematics, perception, localization, planning, and navigation. Completed exercises in Autonomous Mobile Robots and Artificial Intelligence texts.

Materials list:  Cplusplus.com online tutorials, The C++ Programming Language (Stroustroup), Autonomous Mobile Robots (Siewart), Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach (Russel, Norvig) 

• Like 1