Menu

New roof and paint suggestions

swimmermom3

We built our daylight basement 22 years ago and I think our shake roof is at the end of it's lifespan. I won't replace it with shake even though I like the look and it's appropriate for the cottage-style of the home. I am finding the roofing choices to be overwhelming and would appreciate some guidance from the Hive.

From the front of the house, it appears to be a single-level home. There is a large bay window with cottage-style shutters, stonework on the lower portion of the walls, an arched garage door and a column on a rock base that supports the corner of the roof over the small porch.

We will be repainting the exterior after the roof is done. The rock veneer is Eldorado Stone's Bluffstone in Plata and I am looking for new paint colors as well.  The current color is a gold that goes with the stone; the trim is off white and the shutters are black.  I have thought about going with a gray (not too pale) that goes with the stone, white trim, and black shutters with a darker gray roof. We face the south, so a black roof is really out of the question. Also, the back of the house (north) is completely exposed and has no trim around the windows. It will be a large, unbroken expanse of whatever color I choose.

skus%2F2012%2F02%2F20%2FSV-0002-display.

We did last years use to damage from snow the previous winter. Our contractor handed me a pamphlet and I picked out the color.

Weathered wood was the color and I think that would work with your stone. Gray sounds perfect with both weathered wood shingles and your stone.

Timberline was the manufacturer I believe. They have photos on their website.

• Like 1

most roofs here in Australia are metal, most popular is colourbond. It lasts for years and years and years and does not need painting, comes in a range of colours and can withstand a huge range of weather conditions. It is also safe to catch rainwater off it for household purposes.

http://colorbond.com/products/roofing

You can buy shingles that look like shakes. A Google search should get your started.

If you want to switch to grey, bring your photo into a home improvement store or a paint store and buy a few, small containers of the colors that you like. Ask them if they sell large scraps of thin drywall that you could prime and paint. One coat of primer and two coats of paint should do the trick. Large samples, maybe 2" by 3", would allow you to see them from a distance. Personally, I'd probably use samples that are even larger. You want to see how the colors look at different times of the day.

Choosing the right color is going to be important, so you might want to get more opinions and advice. Houzz might have some forums with helpful people.

Then, once you find the color you like, you could go with a gray shingle in the same family of gray -- maybe a bit darker or lighter.