Menu

Is there a grade level reader like Pathways, but isn't so old school?

mamakelly

Maybe  The Modern McGuffey Readers ...  They were reprinted by Abeka in the early 80's, but they are not the same as the modern day Abeka readers. 

Abeka also reprinted the Treasury of Literature Readers, which once again are not the same as the modern day Abeka readers.  Before they developed their own readers, Abeka just reprinted readers from the 50's and 60's. 

We've also enjoyed some of the Ginn Basic Reader series at our house.  Lori D. has some great posts with more info on the Ginn series. Here is one of those posts...

Older (60's) Lippincott's Basic Readers even have basic phonics work built in; or maybe this one from the 80's if you want something more "modern."

Really, I don't have a thing for readers from the 50's and 60's...but I do have thing for shopping book sales, thrift stores, and yard sales.  😉

I'm also fond of the Treadwell readers (especially the 3rd-6th Readers), and one of my boys has enjoyed the Progressive Road to Reading series.  The Treadwell and Progressive Road readers are available for free on Google books or archive.org

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 1

Okay, I will break my Board break for just this thread. ;) Love all of the above suggestions. A few more recently-published ideas:

McGraw Hill "Treasures" reader series (secular)

See list of stories in each reader at publisher website by clicking on the individual title, then purchase a used student edition on Amazon or Abe for about $3-4 per book (plus $4 shipping per book).

Kinder = 1 book

1st Grade = 5 books

2nd, 3rd Grades = 2 books (per grade)

4th, 5th 6th Grades = 1 book (per grade)

Pearson: Scott Foresman Reading Street reader series (secular)

See list of stories in each reader by sorting through this document

See covers of the K-6th student edition readers at publisher website (must register to see online samples)

Buy used at Amazon (or other) for about $3-10 per book (plus $4 shipping per book).

Horizons reader series (Christian)

Note: the "student reader" has the stories; the "student book" is the accompanying phonics workbook, NOT the stories. See sample pages at the publisher website (Alpha-Omega).

Kinder = 4 readers ($48 for the set)

1st, 2nd, 3rd = 2 student readers (per grade) ($28/per reader)

One more older series (1966) is the out-of-print Treasury of Literature Readers - Banner Edition (by Jacobs, published by Charles E. Merrill Books). It looks like at some point these were also published by Abeka Book Publications -- not sure if the Merrill ones are secular or not. I found one at a Good Will store; they are also available through Amazon, Abe, and other used book sellers.

Kinder = Seesaw

grade 1 = Merry Go Round

grade 2 = Happiness Hill

grade 3 = Treat Shop

grade 4 = Magic Carpet

grade 5 = Enchanted Isles

grade 6 = Adventure Lands

Thanks for linking my old post about the Ginn Basic Readers, Zoo Keeper! Love that series. :) You also linked some great reader series I'm not familiar with! Very fun. :)

The best books in the Ginn Basic Reader series (IMO) are the grade 4-6 books, but you can skip the hokey 1950s stories in *any* of the grades and just read the great classic poems and stories (great selections of fairy tales, myths, and adaptations of classics), plus stories of children in other lands for exposure to other cultures.

On 8/23/2015 at 1:49 AM, Lori D. said:

Okay, I will break my Board break for just this thread. 😉 Love all of the above suggestions. A few more recently-published ideas:

McGraw Hill "Treasures" reader series (secular)

See list of stories in each reader at publisher website by clicking on the individual title, then purchase a used student edition on Amazon or Abe for about $3-4 per book (plus $4 shipping per book).

Kinder = 1 book

1st Grade = 5 books

2nd, 3rd Grades = 2 books (per grade)

4th, 5th 6th Grades = 1 book (per grade)

Pearson: Scott Foresman Reading Street reader series (secular)

See list of stories in each reader by sorting through this document

See covers of the K-6th student edition readers at publisher website (must register to see online samples)

Buy used at Amazon (or other) for about $3-10 per book (plus $4 shipping per book).

Horizons reader series (Christian)

Note: the "student reader" has the stories; the "student book" is the accompanying phonics workbook, NOT the stories. See sample pages at the publisher website (Alpha-Omega).

Kinder = 4 readers ($48 for the set)

1st, 2nd, 3rd = 2 student readers (per grade) ($28/per reader)

One more older series (1966) is the out-of-print Treasury of Literature Readers - Banner Edition (by Jacobs, published by Charles E. Merrill Books). It looks like at some point these were also published by Abeka Book Publications -- not sure if the Merrill ones are secular or not. I found one at a Good Will store; they are also available through Amazon, Abe, and other used book sellers.

Kinder = Seesaw

grade 1 = Merry Go Round

grade 2 = Happiness Hill

grade 3 = Treat Shop

grade 4 = Magic Carpet

grade 5 = Enchanted Isles

grade 6 = Adventure Lands

Thanks for linking my old post about the Ginn Basic Readers, Zoo Keeper! Love that series. :) You also linked some great reader series I'm not familiar with! Very fun. 🙂

The best books in the Ginn Basic Reader series (IMO) are the grade 4-6 books, but you can skip the hokey 1950s stories in *any* of the grades and just read the great classic poems and stories (great selections of fairy tales, myths, and adaptations of classics), plus stories of children in other lands for exposure to other cultures.

Glad we could pull you out of hiding, Lori.!  Good to see you. 🙂

The Treasury of Literature Readers (Merrill) are secular, even when A Beka republished them. 

And because I can't resist...here is listing (in order of difficulty) of The Modern McGuffey Readers (also called The Golden Rule Series):

Open Window

Open Doors

Open Roads

Paths to Follow

Frontiers to Explore

Widening Horizons

Here is a review that someone did on Amazon that has some glimpses inside the book.  I have the Abeka reprints (from the 80's), and the interiors look exactly the same as the 50's readers, pictures and all (as far as I can tell), despite the hideous covers Abeka put on their readers... just mentioning that because the Abeka versions seem to easier to find on the used market, and less expensive. 

Edited by Zoo Keeper
spelling
  • Like 1