Menu

Books for after AAR1?

DS is finishing up AAR1 and I'm having trouble finding books for this level. Everyday he's been reading to me from a BOB book or I See Sam, and I think it's really helped his reading. But now it feels like there is a gap before he can continue. I have the second yellow BOB set from Costco and after reading several of them well I have paused them because the next one has concepts that he hasn't learned yet. He's not ready yet for Frog and Toad or Mo Williems and I'm not sure what to do next. AAR1 is ending with him learning the additional sounds for vowels but there are no lessons or reading to practice them just memorization. I'm not sure how fast AAR2 will move if it will quickly help him be able to read more advance words or not. Ang suggestions? Thanks!

I borrow We Read Phonics from the library.  Big pictures with one sentence.  http://www.webothread.com/server/TreasureBay/website/main/scripts/wereadphonics.asp

Example of level 1 is "Bugs on the Bus".  Example of level 2 is "Which Pet is Best".

I also like Nora Gaydos, but her line is expensive.  http://www.amazon.com/Nora-Gaydos/e/B001K8FSXA

Good luck.  I know how hard it is to find the perfect fit.  :)

• Like 2

We have really enjoyed the We Both Read books.  On the left hand pages there is text for the parent to read and on the right is text for the kids to read.  There are some really interesting stories - both fiction and non-fiction.  The books are labeled as to what level the kid text is written.  They do stretch the reading level a bit by sometimes bolding a longer/harder word on the parent page which is a cue to the kid to pay extra attention to that word because it will show up on the facing page for them to read.

Your library might have some of the titles to look at.  After AAR1 kids would probably be ready for level 1 books like this one.

Wendy

• Like 1

There wasn't really anything I could find in our library (which is awesome) that could be read after aar1. So many of the easy, early readers incorporate high frequency words that most kids learn early on as sight words. You can do buddy reading where the child reads the words for which they have the phonics, and you read the rest. Drag your finger along so you can both keep your place. Fwiw, I had great luck with the library after aar2. Getting through silent e and r controlled vowels seems to make most of the early readers accessible.

• Like 2

Thank you! I had never heard of the we read series before and they look great. It is frustrating that according to the samples most are too easy but there are a few words he wouldn't know. AAR really must teach in a very different fashion since it's so out of sync with readers. Hopefully AAR2 will move us past that.

My kids took off after about the first third of AAR2. They can easily read the beginning level early readers from the library, as well as math problems and bob books collection 2 and 3. We are two lessons from finishing AAR 2. AAR 1 seemed to drag but 2 takes off. Also the fluency sheets became no big deal as opposed to drudgery. You'll be surprised at how advanced the readers w AAR 2 seem. Also, my kids read the readers from the library even if they don't know some words. I'll help them w words they haven't covered. And sometimes they pick them up with no help.

There wasn't really anything I could find in our library (which is awesome) that could be read after aar1. So many of the easy, early readers incorporate high frequency words that most kids learn early on as sight words. You can do buddy reading where the child reads the words for which they have the phonics, and you read the rest. Drag your finger along so you can both keep your place. Fwiw, I had great luck with the library after aar2. Getting through silent e and r controlled vowels seems to make most of the early readers accessible.

I agree! I had the same problem, but like above, would just quickly read the unknown words for my daughter quickly and she would continue, not spending time fretting about words and phonograms that hadn't been learned yet.

I really love AAR, but this is seriously my 1 complaint! We also read through the readers several times just reading 1 story each night before bed.

The Core Knowledge LA Kindergarten readers are usually decodable after AAR/AAS level 1. The readers start at unit 6. Unit 10 (the last Kindergarten unit) has some silent e words, which wouldn't be accessible yet to students doing AAR. They're free to download:

https://www.engageny.org/resource/kindergarten-skills-unit-6-reader-kit

https://www.engageny.org/resource/kindergarten-skills-unit-7-reader-seth

https://www.engageny.org/resource/kindergarten-skills-unit-8-reader-sam

https://www.engageny.org/resource/kindergarten-skills-unit-9-reader-zach-and-ann

The main problem with them is the fact that they would be ridiculously expensive to print. If you had a 10" tablet it might be readable on the screen (the pdf books are formatted to about 8"x10"). There are print versions available for schools, but they are sold in sets of five (five copies each of the five readers for Kindergarten).

• Like 1