Menu

All About Reading/ Spelling or Abeka

Guest tojewojo

Guest tojewojo

Hi everyone.

My son and I used the phonics from my fathers world many years ago to teach him to read. While we liked it, I wanted something better for my daughter (who is in first grade) to really give her a better grasp.

I keep reading that All About Reading is a really fun and great way to teach them phonics and isn't as ummm *cough* stale as Abeka.

Any thoughts from my fellow mamas would be so appreciated!

Hi everyone.

My son and I used the phonics from my fathers world many years ago to teach him to read. While we liked it, I wanted something better for my daughter (who is in first grade) to really give her a better grasp.

I keep reading that All About Reading is a really fun and great way to teach them phonics and isn't as ummm *cough* stale as Abeka.

Any thoughts from my fellow mamas would be so appreciated!

Well, ABeka phonics really is quite good, but it is a classroom product and takes some adapting to teach it at home. No biggie, but still, it isn't the only game in town. :-)

If you want fun, there's PhonicsPathways, which is also quite good and was written with homeschoolers (e.g., not a classroom) in mind. But if you're considering AAS/AAR, you might also consider the method which is the original: Spalding. One manual (Writing Road to Reading), one set of phonogram cards, and you're good to go forever.

Guest tojewojo

This is so helpful! With phonics pathways, would I need to purchase anything for grammar/ spelling, etc to complete a language curriculum?

*We* didn't find Abeka phonics stale at all. Both of my kids did excellent with it and I learned via Abeka phonics many years ago, as well. That being said, we do use All About Spelling. It has been a godsend for my daughter who has trouble spelling. She struggled with Abeka spelling. I have not seen All About Reading; it came out after both my kids were reading, I believe.

This is so helpful! With phonics pathways, would I need to purchase anything for grammar/ spelling, etc to complete a language curriculum?

For a little 6yo person, IMHO you do NOT need grammar or spelling. You do need something for penmanship, however.

We love All About Reading here. My son is a wonderful reader after going through the program. My youngest started with Abeka in a private school and is now doing AAR at home as a 1st grader. Both are good programs, I just prefer AAR.

AAR and AAS have been wonderful for *me* because I wasn't at all confident of my ability to teach my daughter to read (my olders were all in public school at that age). The hand holding and script are very comforting for me, although now that she's reading fluently I am more confident and able to go off script and adapt it to where she's at. As for *her* she probably would have been fine and able to learn to read with any good phonics program. I just chose AAR because it seemed a good fit for me as a teacher.

I used Abeka phonics for my dd for K and 1st grade, it is a solid phonics curriculum, but I hated it. With my ds I used AAR and can't imagine ever going back to Abeka. My youngest is working through AAR now. It's just as great the second time through.

For first grade we added WWE, FLL, and AAS for language arts. :)