Menu

Braces at a Local Dental College

emzhengjiu

Our dentist told me that my 15 yo now needs braces because of changes he's seeing.  He also mentioned briefly the possibility of jaw surgery.  Last year, he felt that braces were not required unless she wanted to correct a couple of slightly crooked front teeth or at least that's what I thought we said.  My budget is tight and I'm trying to find the most economical way since braces are expensive.  We don't have any type of dental insurance.  Although my daughter has health insurance through Texas CHIP, braces are not covered.  The charity, Smiles Change Lives, has a minimum waiting time of 24 months in our area, not too encouraging. 

She has an appointment with an orthodontist early in September for a consultation.  I'm also thinking of applying for treatment at a local dental college, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea.  It would be cheaper but would require a lot of flexibility on my part for appointments and the work would be done by students.   I would appreciate any thoughts and suggestions on work done by dental students or how to afford braces in general.

I have a friend who did that with her daughter. It was more hassle because of distance, but they did save a lot of money... It's been several years but I don't remember hearing any complaints.

My only advise would be to get several opinions about surgery. We were told my oldest would need it and got a second opinion.. the second orthodontist was able to avoid it completely.

• Like 3

I have a friend who did that with her daughter. It was more hassle because of distance, but they did save a lot of money... It's been several years but I don't remember hearing any complaints.

My only advise would be to get several opinions about surgery. We were told my oldest would need it and got a second opinion.. the second orthodontist was able to avoid it completely.

Good advice!  At least the initial consultations are free.  I really don't want her to have surgery unless there's no other reasonable alternative.   I'm also thinking of trying to find an orthodontist in a smaller town nearby.  Maybe the costs would be less.  At least as homeschoolers, we have a bit more flexiblity for appointments.  I work, but usually I'm scheduled for weekends and evenings.

The dental school will be a great resource for a complicated ortho case. If your child is a possible surgical candidate, then it will be complicated. The dental school will give you the most up to date techniques with the instructors over seeing the student's work. It's like getting a few opinions without leaving the building. Most appointments would be scheduled Monday thru Friday during business hours, I would think.

• Like 1

My sister had her orthodontia done through the dental school. it also took longer, because students would graduate, and she'd get a new student who would do something different.

most insurance really doesn't cover cosmetic orthodontia, or only pays a minimal amount.

• Like 1