Menu

Apologia users...

TyraTooters

I am looking at getting Apologia Zoology 1 to use this year. We are just going to wing it with our own note booking but I was looking the the ChristianBook website and I noticed that you can buy the lab kit for about $90. It comes with everything you need for all the experiments. I was curious to see if anyone has bought the lab kits for zoology 1 yet and if it's worth it. I kind of like the idea of having it all in one place and not having to go looking for it on a daily/weekly basis but I'm just not sure I want to pay the $90 for it. 

Also, has anyone bought the Daily Lesson plans? Those are about $7 and it just breaks it all down for you suggesting where to start and stop for each day. 

We did Astronomy last year and are starting Zoology 1 this year. I am glad I bought the notebook. It had questions in it and a lot of other things to do. I glanced through the book at the experiments and then went on CBD and looked at the Experiment kit.... if it were me, I'd buy the notebooks and assemble the experiment kits myself. And since it is me... that's what I'm doing. Honestly, you can take a Saturday morning, get some 1 gallon Ziploc bags and put everything you need in them and then keep that in a crate somewhere. Then you aren't scrambling for stuff. I scramble for stuff and that's why I usually don't do the experiments. But I am going to try to put several experiments together before school starts and see how that works for me.

• Like 1

I agree with the others....skip the lab kit and get the notebook. Inside the notebook is a schedule of what to do each day. It's outlined for 2 days a week and incorporates what pages to read, which notebook pages to do and what experiments are that day. Did is doing it 4 days a week to feed her animal love :)

Which notebook would you all recommend for my six and eight year old boys who have never done note booking before? (1st & 3rd grade)

Hmm. Well, I used the regular notebook last year for my fifth & sixt graders and bought the jr. Notebook for my third grader. I should have bought them all the regular one. I think a third grader could do the regular one for sure. A first grader.... it would probably be too much writing. There's questions, crossword puzzles, etc.

It totally depends on the type of person you are. If you can commit to finding all the stuff and putting it together, it helps to have it all in one place before the year begins. I know me, and I'd rather pay for the kit than find all the random items. If it could all be done at Walmart in 30 minutes, maybe. But I don't know...I've enjoyed having everything in a box for Astronomy, and I'm not sure how much it would have saved for me to buy everything anyway.