Menu

Looking for a website that shows the book and reads it very slowly out loud.

I guess there's not much more to add, except that the reading of it out loud must be very slow and clear, so that the student can follow along pointing at each word with his finger while hearing it being said out loud.  If it gives the student the ability to stop and re-read a word, that would even be better!

Maybe look at the Voice Dream app for the iPad. Immersion reading on the Fire Kindles does this and slow down the reading speed.

Windows OS has ease of use functions that will read aloud text. I don't recall what it is called; however, you can use the function in Word and Adobe Acrobat. I think a program called WordQ/SpeakQ will do this as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this for a struggling learner?  If so Learning Ally might be an excellent choice.  

Otherwise, we have found Amazon's whispersync to be a fantastic resource.  (Same as the Kindle immersion reading mentioned above)  You do not need to have a Kindle or an Audible account to use it.  Simply install the Kindle app on any phone/tablet/desktop and search Amazon for whispersync enabled books.  Make sure to buy both the e-book and the audiobook.  They will highlight each word as the professional recording plays.  You can slow it down, pause it, etc.  You can even assign your child a chapter/page/whatever to read on their own, and the audiobook will automatically pick right up where they left off. 

If you want to try it for free, there are always promos going on.  I just picked up Saving Grace (both the e-book and the audio) for free this morning. I have no idea if this book would be appropriate for children, but it could give you an idea of what the program is capable of.  PS - If you aren't seeing the audio controls (they use a headphone symbol), try re-syncing your kindle account sometimes it takes a few moments for everything to re-set.