Menu

Using a prepaid card (like straight talk) with a verizon iphone 4?

Ann.without.an.e

Has anyone done this?  I am not a techy person.  It looks like I need to switch the SIM card and I can't figure out exactly how to go about that?  There isn't a slot that pops out like there is with my iPhone 5.  DD wants to use my old iPhone to convert it to straight talk so she has a phone.  She will buy the prepaid cards herself.  She doesn't want to commit to a contract plan with us because even though she babysits very consistently, it isn't guaranteed. 

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

You can use a Verizon iPhone 4 with TracFone's Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) program.  You will get triple minutes/texts/data whenever you buy a phone card (which isn't always spelled out).  There's a small activation fee (about $10).  For me, it works out to about $7 a month, for about 180/180/180, and of course I can always add more minutes/texts/mBytes.  I use wifi most of the time, so that data and most of the texts don't count.  I could not be happier with my TracFone iPhone!!!  I found it best to contact them by phone, as the web site was a bit glitchy.  I noticed recently that they've updated the BYOP part of their site, so it may be better now.  (You can now use a variety of iPhones, from a variety of carriers - check it out!  It's a great way to hand down a phone to a kid without spending a fortune!)

• Like 1

I'm not sure what network straight talk runs on but basically you need a prepaid plan that runs on the Verizon network. I know there are several. The one I use is Page Plus. Once the phone is no longer under a contract plan with Verizon(which I'm assuming is the case for you since you said it's your old phone), you call the prepaid company of your choice (that uses Verizon line) and have them activate your phone in their system. You will need the identifying number of the phone (can't remember the exact name of it). Then you should be good to go to add minutes.

• Like 1