Menu

Anyone ever try the Writing Skills books by Diana Hanbury King?

rose

I've got a set of these books given to me and I'm toying with using them to supplement WWS with my son that is struggling (I think that he might be slightly dyslexic/dysgraphic). I've got book A, 1 and 2 and the teachers manual. What are your thoughts?

I haven't, but they were next on my list to try because of their success for kids with dyslexia. We started Essentials in Writing before then, and that ended up working well here. I would absolutely give them a try for a struggling writer--you really don't have anything to lose since you have them. 

I bought somebody's used Calvert 4th or 5th grade curriculum (can't remember which it came with) on Ebay.  Their son/daughter was in the Verticity? program and it included this book.  In going through it, it was actually really useful for even my strong natural writer in 4th grade.

Lovely resource.  DD first used them as part of the Calvert Verticy program (Books A and 1) and is now using Book 1 again.  It is lovely to see the progression in her abilities since the first time we used Book 1, and now it is considerably more independent than she was first time around.  I have Book 2, and if she can get through that I will be very pleased.  I would like to use WWS, but due to learning difficulties that may not be achievable for a few years if at all.