Menu

Hospice stuff, end of life timeline

fairfarmhand

When my mom passed, we had a little booklet that helped us know what to expect as the end drew near. Sort of a general timeline to help us know what to expect.

Does anyone have a link to a similar publication?

We're dealing with an end of life issue and the family is reluctant to call in hospice so we're on our own. :( (I know, I know, but it's not my decision.)

I'd just like to share that information so they can know what to expect.

oh, I meant to add there's no real timeline, per se.  Some people may take longer to go through each stages, while other progress very quickly.  Similar to labor/delivery in that way.. 

Oh, I know that. Of course it's all just generalizations.  But I do remember the publication mentioning that many people experience a sort of animation in the last day or two before death where they really feel like talking and meeting people and then quickly slip into unconsciousness afterward and then just slip away.

Letting them know what to expect can help them take advantage of that last day that the person feels like visiting. I don't want them to wait too long to visit and then miss it.

KWIM?

• Like 2

Oh, I know that. Of course it's all just generalizations.  But I do remember the publication mentioning that many people experience a sort of animation in the last day or two before death where they really feel like talking and meeting people and then quickly slip into unconsciousness afterward and then just slip away.

Letting them know what to expect can help them take advantage of that last day that the person feels like visiting. I don't want them to wait too long to visit and then miss it.

KWIM?

yes, I know what you mean.  I have definitely heard of that happening.  But sometimes that doesn't happen too.   it's not a guarantee.   Some patients can become very distraught and agitated... this can be upsetting to the family even if they understand it can be normal.

Have you tried contacting the hospice that your mom used?  Perhaps they can mail you the booklets?

• Like 2

yes, I know what you mean.  I have definitely heard of that happening.  But sometimes that doesn't happen too.   it's not a guarantee.   Some patients can become very distraught and agitated... this can be upsetting to the family even if they understand it can be normal.

Have you tried contacting the hospice that your mom used?  Perhaps they can mail you the booklets?

That is a good idea. I'll visit their website.

Thanks all. I think I found what I needed.

This is almost exactly what I remember reading:

http://www.niagarahospice.org/documents/final_journey.pdf

This discusses the emotional process of letting go:

https://caregiver.org/advanced-illness-holding-on-letting-go

And this site give lots of information on late stage cancer.

http://www.cancer.org/treatment/nearingtheendoflife/nearingtheendoflife/nearing-the-end-of-life-death

Just in case someone else needs thiis information.

• Like 3

I think the booklet you are looking for is called "Gone from My Sight."  Its the one our local hospice uses.  Easy to use and has great information. 

If you FIL has a regular medical doctor make sure you get a do not resuscitate form so that when FIL passes then EMS will honor that.  Plus it makes and unattended death a lot easier.   

• Like 1

I think the booklet you are looking for is called "Gone from My Sight."  Its the one our local hospice uses.  Easy to use and has great information. 

If you FIL has a regular medical doctor make sure you get a do not resuscitate form so that when FIL passes then EMS will honor that.  Plus it makes and unattended death a lot easier.   

That;s it. I remember the picture on the front and the lovely sentiment expressed in the title.

Just looking at it on Amazon brought tears and memories,

I'll also add that if your FIL isn't in hospice, you might want to check out the unattended death and end of life medication issues with his doctor.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. 

Thank you for mentioning this. It hadn't occurred to me that a non-hospice death at home could make things a bit more complicated for the family. So I think that's something worth mentioning.