Menu

Raynaud's and Pregnancy

I managed to get Raynaud's a couple of years ago. I have probably had it for a very long time, but it finally got bad enough that I went to the doctor and was formally diagnosed with it. I'd always had joint issues, but the numbness in my fingers was driving me crazy.

So it seemed that the Raynaud's went into remission or whatever once I got pregnant. I also don't seem to have as much trouble in the summer, though I generally have trouble in the freezer section of the grocery store.

However, it's back. I haven't had any numbness, but my left wrist really hurts and I cannot put hardly any pressure on it. I'm not sure how long this flare is going to last, but I would really like it to go away. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm sure I just need to :chillpill: about the whole thing, but I'm not currently able to do that.

I managed to get Raynaud's a couple of years ago. I have probably had it for a very long time, but it finally got bad enough that I went to the doctor and was formally diagnosed with it. I'd always had joint issues, but the numbness in my fingers was driving me crazy.

So it seemed that the Raynaud's went into remission or whatever once I got pregnant. I also don't seem to have as much trouble in the summer, though I generally have trouble in the freezer section of the grocery store.

However, it's back. I haven't had any numbness, but my left wrist really hurts and I cannot put hardly any pressure on it. I'm not sure how long this flare is going to last, but I would really like it to go away. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm sure I just need to :chillpill: about the whole thing, but I'm not currently able to do that.

(((Susie))) I'm sorry that you are having to deal with this. I do not know a lot about Raynaud's but my MIL has it and I know that it does cause her a great deal of pain. I hope this flare up dies down soon and that you will have a healthy, uneventful rest of your pregnancy. Congratulations on the little one on the way.

It doesn't go away. There are things that can make it worse (like smoking), but nothing will "cure" it.

You didn't have it during pregnancy because your body seems to pump your blood faster while pregnant. (there is an official medical wording for this, but I have no idea what it is). Anyway, your pressure increases and it helps keep your capillaries from closing off.

As for the pain in your wrist, it is probably not just Raynaud's but similar issue in your joints and muscles. I have no idea what it is called, I called it Chilblains last year (but I didn't get the sores associated with that). It can be painful. I had it badly in my legs last year. To top it off, the pain set me into panic attacks.

We couldn't figure out what was wrong. I had a lot of expensive tests done, then we got a warm spell in January and all of my symptoms went away. We then realized it was the cold doing it. I dread this winter.

Things that can help: exercise, this increases your circulation; lots of layers, especially around your core; good socks and gloves, I like the Polartec ones. Wear gloves every time you go out once the weather cools; a warm house (this one is hard since it is so expensive).

I like to add to that list a glass of red wine every evening. I also recommend lots of warm baths once the weather get cold.

Sorry that this is starting to affect you. Keep warm.

Ya know, I have this only in my fingers. I've had it since I was in college/high school sometime. I'm thinking about buying some of those fingerless gloves someone posted about their dd getting as a fashion statement to wear around the house this fall and winter!

It doesn't go away. There are things that can make it worse (like smoking), but nothing will "cure" it.

I probably used the wrong word when I said "go away". Mine has tended to go into remission during the warmer seasons.

You didn't have it during pregnancy because your body seems to pump your blood faster while pregnant. (there is an official medical wording for this, but I have no idea what it is). Anyway, your pressure increases and it helps keep your capillaries from closing off.

I haven't had a doctor or any other medical personnel explain that to me yet, so thank you. :) It makes sense.

As for the pain in your wrist, it is probably not just Raynaud's but similar issue in your joints and muscles.

My doctor and I thought that at first, too. But, this is how mine starts. Once it begins in my wrists, then I start to feel like I have no strength in them. After that, my fingers will turn blue/purple, etc. when they get cold.

I have no idea what it is called, I called it Chilblains last year (but I didn't get the sores associated with that). It can be painful. I had it badly in my legs last year. To top it off, the pain set me into panic attacks.

Oh man, I'm sorry. The pain is weird, like it's way deep in my bones. My doctor (a D.O. )did some manipulations that seemed to help when I was in a super flare, but I don't know exactly what he was doing. I was just thankful it helped.

We couldn't figure out what was wrong. I had a lot of expensive tests done, then we got a warm spell in January and all of my symptoms went away. We then realized it was the cold doing it. I dread this winter.

Yup, me too. I'm glad that we live in Texas, because it seems to be better. Though, I have had it happen in the grocery store in the freezer section during the summer.

Have you used the hand and foot warmers that people use when they are hunting? I've got a huge stockpile of them. They really seem to help, especially when getting into a warm car. The weird thing is that I'm so very hot this pregnancy. I am sweating constantly, and I've never done that before. I wonder if it's related to the Raynaud's.

We'll see how it goes. I really don't want to be flaring when I'm supposed to be holding a teeny baby...

Ya know, I have this only in my fingers. I've had it since I was in college/high school sometime. I'm thinking about buying some of those fingerless gloves someone posted about their dd getting as a fashion statement to wear around the house this fall and winter!

I find that I need to keep my fingers warm or they will turn blue and purple. Hand warmers are my lifesaver. I also use them in my bed at night for my feet. They key, for me, is to keep my fingers at an even temperature and not let them get very cold. Once they get cold, then it's hard for them to come back, so to speak.

I have this, noticed it first in Jr. High- I wear gloves all the time and socks to bed. You should go see your Dr., he can explain it to you and give you ideas on how to manage it. I was told to take baby aspirin every day to help, 5 years ago...and then this year my new Dr. gave me a prescription-I decided not to take it, since my symptoms are not bad yet- just the cold thing.

( I am forever on the lookout for battery socks and gloves..someday I will find the perfect gloves...I dream about it):D

I hope you feel better soon.

Has your doctor tested you for any other autoimmune diseases? Raynaud's can be a phenomena by itself or it can be part of symptoms of an autoimmune disease. I tested negative for a host of autoimmune disease so I just have the Raynaud's by itself. (I forget the specific names). I haven't read anything (so far) about iRaynauds by itself having accompanying joint issues, but everyone's different, but that's why I asked if you have been tested because other autoimmune things do affect joints. Jacqui

Has your doctor tested you for any other autoimmune diseases? Raynaud's can be a phenomena by itself or it can be part of symptoms of an autoimmune disease.

They tested for a whole bunch of stuff including Sjogren's and MS. I didn't have any of it.

I've been gluten intolerant, but don't have full blown celiac, which is another auto-immune disorder. Thyroid and adrenals always look great. Who knows?