Menu

Senior Literature for a lit hater

Update: My current list is in post 9 if you want to give feedback. 

I was planning on my dd doing lit at the CC this year and it looks like it isn't going to work out. She needs a lit focused class for the coming year, but what I would really like is to have her read books she won't hate for a change. It would be great if I could convince her she likes reading again (she did when she was younger).

So, what does she like? Not much of anything. She has liked some dystopian books like The Hunger Games and The Giver. It is actually easier to tell you what she doesn't like. In general she doesn't like anything more than 50 years old and no fantasy/sci-fi type stuff. It has to be real or at least plausible. She also doesn't like anything depressing or violent . I know this isn't at all WTM, but please give me ideas of books, preferably current and even popular books, that aren't total junk. 

GO!

Just for background, the last two years she has done:

EIL Intro to Lit

Blue Tent Honors English 2

CC Composition

She should be a Junior this year, but is almost certainly going to graduate a year early.

ETA My current list is in post 9 if you want to give feedback. 

All of these titles are realistic settings, many are coming of age and published in the last 50 years. ETA: Okay, I just re-read your post and am now graying out titles that are depressing or violent.

Online Classes:

Lakeshore High School: Mrs. Kinney's Online Classroom: Contemporary Literature

(Kite Runner, The Things They Carried, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks)

MIT: Open Courseware: Contemporary Literature: British Novels Now

(Disgrace; Remains of the Day; Money A Suicide Note; The Comfort of Strangers; The Life of Pi; Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha; The Handmaiden's Tale; White Teeth)

Anthologies:

Reading the World: Contemporary Literature (gr. 9-12)

A Multi-Cultural Reader: Collection Two (gr. 9-12)

Ideas in this past thread:

Worthwhile contemporary literature

Worthwhile Lit. From the Past 15-30 Years:

1983 = The River Why (Duncan)

1989 = The Joy Luck Club (Tan)  -- sad things happen in the flashbacks of the Chinese mothers, but ultimately ends positively

1995 = Sophie's World (Gaarder)

2001 = Peace Like a River (Enger) -- positive ending, but some tough stuff happens throughout

2001 = Life of Pi (Martel)

2002 = Secret of Bees (Kidd) -- some domestic violence alluded to in the past of the protagonist
2004 = Gilead (Robison)

2005 = Never Let Me Go (Ishiguro) -- set in an undefined future, but feels like contemporary time; depressing downer ending

2014 = Invention of Wings (Kidd) -- set in the first half of the 1800s

Older 20th Century Classics:

1937 = Their Eyes Were Watching God (Hurston) -- Deep South, Depression era, but doesn't feel dated (there is a death and some sad things happen, but the final image is of a powerful, self-assured woman)

1959 = A Separate Peace (Knowles) = setting is just prior to WW2; death of a character

1962 = One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Kesey) = set at time of writing; abuse in the psychiatric ward, ending with a death

1965 = In Cold Blood (Capote) -- cold-blooded murders that occurred in 1959

1962 = One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich (Solzhenitsyn) = setting 1950s USSR gulag

1967 = The Chosen (Potok) = setting of immigrant Jewish sub-culture of the 1940s U.S.

Popular Contemporary Works In High School Classes

Here are some contemporary titles that are getting a lot of exposure in high school classrooms; I am not at all familiar with any of these and do not at all know whether or not they have literary merit or not. Also, you will definitely want to preview -- I don't know are violent or depressing, but I know several have difficult, intense, sensitive or mature topics, and only you know what your DD is ready for. :)

Set At Time of Writing

1984 = The House on Mango Street (Cisneros)

1987 = A Yellow Raft in Blue Water (Dorris)

1993 = Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven (Alexie) -- interconnected short stories

1999 = Perks of Being a Wallflower (Chbosky) -- set in early 1990s

1999 = Speak (Anderson)

2003 = The Kite Runner (Hosseini)

2005 = Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (Foer)

2007 = Thirteen Reasons Why (Asher)

2007 = Story of a Girl (Zarr) 

2007 = The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian (Alexie)

Setting Other Than Time of Writing

1970 = The Bluest Eye (Morrison) -- set post Great Depression

1990 = The Things They Carried (O'Brien) -- set during Vietnam War

1993 = The Virgin Suicides (Eugenides) -- setting is 1970s

1994 = Snow Falling on Cedars (Gutterson) -- set in 1954

1998 = The Poisonwood Bible (Kingsolver) -- set in late 1950s

2000 = White Teeth (Smith) -- set in mid 1970s

2000 = Persepolis (Satrapi) -- setting is 1970s-1980s

2002 = The Lovely Bones (Sebold) -- set in 1970s

2009 = When You Reach Me (Stead) -- set in late 1970s

2009 = The Help (Stockett) -- set in 1960s

• Like 3

Okay, so now I'm thinking that basically all of the suggestions in my post above are going to end up being a "no-go" for various reasons, so… what about doing a Literature year focused on plays? Read and watch, and for some just watch.  :w00t:

You could do a sampling through history, and hit a few of the most famous ancient Greek works, and some Shakespeare (and watch a few films of contemporary versions of the plays or stories of the plays). And then cover some 20th century dramas, comedies, and musicals. Most plays are realistic, not fantasy/sci-fi, and while many may be sad/depressing, you're not going to get too much out-right on-stage violence. ;) AND, you'll be balancing out any tragedies with some comedies. :)

If this idea sounds like a possibility, then we can start working up a list of ideas for you for titles. :)

• Like 1

Another thought: What books did she love back when she was younger and she loved reading? Could you build a Lit. course around those books, or around similar types of books that are at the next level?

And, a final idea:

If discussion/relationship is part of the goal for trying to make a great last year of Lit. with DD, what about doing something like Movies as Literature, and reading some of those books -- the movies are your "in" to spark interest in the related book, but whether or not she ends up enjoying reading the book, the two of you still had the good conversations around the movies.

• Like 2

Another thought: What books did she love back when she was younger and she loved reading? Could you build a Lit. course around those books, or around similar types of books?

And, a final idea:

If discussion/relationship is part of the goal for trying to make a great last year of Lit. with DD, what about doing something like Movies as Literature, and reading some of those books -- the movies are your "in" to spark interest in the related book, but whether or not she ends up enjoying reading the book, the two of you still had the good conversations around the movies.

This was my thought when I read the title:  What about a Children's Literature class.  She could read and study some of her favorite books from when she was a child -- and the newer books for the elementary/middle school age group.

I'm working on putting together a similar class here: Create a portfolio of great children's books.  The assignments would be to read at least one book a week (so about 50 titles); discuss what age group this would be best for; lessons this book teaches (friendship, self-esteem, etc.); perhaps create a craft, recipe, visual to go with the book; make a list of discussion questions to ask a young reader about the book.

At the end, she would have a notebook full of great resources that she could use someday with her own child or share with the parents of young children.

• Like 2

I posted last night and then went to bed. Today I got up and went biking early to avoid the heat, but the heat got me anyway. There was a head advisory with the heat index over 100 by the time I finished my 26 miles. I was so wiped out, it took me awhile to get online. How encouraging it is to come and read all those ideas Lori!! Thank you to Junie too.

So, here are my thoughts based on those ideas:

She isn't a big fan of plays and hates anything with less than contemporary English. To get through one Shakespeare play this year took reading it, watching the play, then re-reading it with a study guide that helped her figure out meanings a paragraph or two at a time. I know, this means we should work on it, but really, it isn't the hill I want to die on this year. However, the idea of movies or plays would be a positive for her. She is a strong auditory learner. I've looked at the Movies as Literature curriculum before and I just haven't been able to convince myself it is credit worthy, but I might reconsider that.

I think I'd like to give putting something together myself a shot. I'm thinking maybe 2 plays, 3 movies (w/books), and 5 books without visual supports. I could throw in a poetry/short story unit too or instead of a traditional short story unit, we could do a children's literature unit. That could be light and fun. 

What she does like are stories that are strongly relationship based. She likes to get to know a main character and the people around that character. Some bad things can happen along the way, but too much violence or if the book takes on a depressing tone, rather than seeming like a resolvable conflict, she'll give up. Adult or mature themes are not a problem for this child. In movies, she always wants to watch comedies, although she has chosen to watch some more depressing movies like The Fault in Our Stars.

Lori, I'd love a few suggestions for plays. She hates musicals (even when watched live on broadway). I'm thinking one drama and one comedy. Many of the movies she choses are those based books, so I think that will be a popular idea. Finding ones she would be interested in, but hasn't seen may add challenge, but I think I can do that. I'll start looking through the contemporary lit lists on this thread and the other one you linked Lori and see where that gets me.

Thank you for the help ladies!

The Importance of Being Ernest by Oscar Wilde is very good. And there is a nice movie adaptation on Netflix with Colin Firth and Reece Witherspoon among other good actors.

A Christmas Carol is frequently put in as a play and was put on stage in Dickens' time. The book is relatively short.

For books that are more recent that might be good

The Caine Mutiney by Wouk

Novels by Maeve Binchey. I know she gets shelved as romance by many but the books are a lot deeper than that. There are frequently broken marriages, but I think the stories are good. Tara Road and The Evening Class are good starting points.

What about well written non-fiction like Seabiscuit, The Perfect Storm, The Boys in the Boat, Pegasus Bridge, etc. (some of the best non fiction might be depressing, ex the Perfect Storm in which the boat is lost at sea. )

• Like 1

She has read both the Importance of being Ernest and Christmas Carol in previous lit years (I love both). 

Seabiscuit is a good idea for a book w/movie. She did a lot of animal stories as a child and might like it. I've seen the movie, but she hasn't. The perfect storm is pretty depressing. I'm not familiar with the others, but I'll take a look. Thanks Sebastian

Here is my current short list. Any suggestions for additions or subtractions? I still want to add 2 plays.

Plays:

A Curious Incident of a Dog in the Night-Time (might require a trip to NY to visit family and see the play :) )

Peter and the Starcatchers (we saw off Broadway in NY)

Both of these were based on books rather than originally written as plays and I haven't decided if that is an issue.

Movie tie-ins:

The Help (she has seen and loved the movie)

Seabiscuit

Life of Pi

Novels:

Their Eyes were watching God

Speak

Story of a Girl

Angle of Repose

Non-Fiction:

Something by Gladwell

Children's Books: (1 week each)

James and the Giant Peach

Black Beauty

Jonathan LIvingston Seagull

ETA: I haven't read all of these and I have several on hold already so I can preview. Please feel free to critique the selections.

Non-Fiction:

Something by Gladwell

I'm not much of a Gladwell fan -- I think he overshoots what the evidence really says. How about A Walk in the Woods? Funny memoir of the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson, the guy who did The History of Nearly Everything.

• Like 2

I know that this isn't modern, but what about "Pride and Prejudice", "Jane Eyre" or similar books? They've got nice strong characters to get to know. Stay away from Wuthering Heights. I remember despising that book in my senior year because of how dark it was. I gave up half way, got Cole's Notes, wrote my essay and threw away the book.

I'm not much of a Gladwell fan -- I think he overshoots what the evidence really says. How about A Walk in the Woods? Funny memoir of the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson, the guy who did The History of Nearly Everything.

I'm a Gladwell fan. :)

I know that this isn't modern, but what about "Pride and Prejudice", "Jane Eyre" or similar books? They've got nice strong characters to get to know. Stay away from Wuthering Heights. I remember despising that book in my senior year because of how dark it was. I gave up half way, got Cole's Notes, wrote my essay and threw away the book.

She has read Jane Eyre, that was my absolute favorite book when I was in high school. I'll give thought to Pride and Prejudice. I hated Wuthering Heights too. I refuse to force that book on my kids. They can try it on their own if they would like, but it won't be assigned by me.  :D

I'm in the middle of Reading Lolita in Tehran.  It is non-fiction, written by a former literature professor at a university in Tehran.  It's quite good so far, and is intrinsically connected with literature and the reflections and impact it can have.

Thank you, I'll take a look.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest teacher_of_5

Coming into this conversation a bit late, but just wanted to say that of the book list suggested by someone else, I would avoid The Lovely Bones if she doesn't like depressing or violent.  I read most of the book the year the movie came out and personally could not finish it.  In terms of literary value, it could spark some interesting conversations about life after death, but that alone wouldn't be sufficient for me to add it to my high schooler's reading list.

If your daughter is planning to apply to college, I don't think I would include the Children's or YA books in any course descriptions or book lists.  I'm under the impression that by 12th grade they should be reading adult books in a literature course.  

Not to say that you shouldn't read the books--just not how'd I'd market the class on an application.  (Unless you could come up with a great way that they were paired with another book for analytical purposes.)

Coming into this conversation a bit late, but just wanted to say that of the book list suggested by someone else, I would avoid The Lovely Bones if she doesn't like depressing or violent.  I read most of the book the year the movie came out and personally could not finish it.  In terms of literary value, it could spark some interesting conversations about life after death, but that alone wouldn't be sufficient for me to add it to my high schooler's reading list.

Thanks. I'm still looking for titles to include.

We've started with Peter & the Starcatchers. We saw the play in NY and loved it and we'll be doing some comparing to help make up for it being a kids book. However, she really likes the book and is reading beyond what I ask of her for the first time in ages. So far so good. 

I have already removed a couple other books from my last list though after pre-reading, so I'm still looking for ideas. 

I've added Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. My oldest is autistic spectrum and after pre-reading this, it made the list. Seabiscuit and The Help are in too. As long as I can stay one book ahead of her, I'm good, but if anyone has read any of the books on the list and wants to help me rule them in or out or has favorites to add to my pre-reading list, please feel free to chime in!

I'll disagree with the dismissal of children's books. I think they could serve a purpose.

For example I'd consider adding Peter Pan by Barrie and comparing the Dave Barry adaptation and the adaptation of the play. How does each version reflect its time? How do later versions allude to things in earlier variants?

I would   wouldn't read a stack of Magic Tree House in high school, but I'd rather a kid read Little Women than any number of "high interest" books handed to high schoolers. There are books written for children in the past that are quite well written. And there are books taught in high school because they have young protagonists that I don't think we're intended for such young audiences (Lord of the Flies for example.)

Yes Black Beauty is a children's book. It also presents a ton of social commentary about classes in England and treatment of animals. I'd pair it with A Christmas Carol and some Kipling and discuss Victorian literature, the rise of lit directed towards children, and books designed to sway public opinion on the treatment of animals and on the challenges facing the poor during a period of industrialization and urbanization.

I'd love to hear what you think of "Loud and Up Close". I've not tried to read that one as September 11 hit our family hard. (My college roommate was a new United Pilot and my dh was in the Pentagon.)

• Like 1

I'll disagree with the dismissal of children's books. I think they could serve a purpose.

For example I'd consider adding Peter Pan by Barrie and comparing the Dave Barry adaptation and the adaptation of the play. How does each version reflect its time? How do later versions allude to things in earlier variants?

I would read a stack of Magic Tree House in high school, but I'd rather a kid read Little Women than any number of "high interest" books handed to high schoolers. There are books written for children in the past that are quite well written. And there are books taught in high school because they have young protagonists that I don't think we're intended for such young audiences (Lord of the Flies for example.)

Yes Black Beauty is a children's book. It also presents a ton of social commentary about classes in England and treatment of animals. I'd pair it with A Christmas Carol and some Kipling and discuss Victorian literature, the rise of lit directed towards children, and books designed to sway public opinion on the treatment of animals and on the challenges facing the poor during a period of industrialization and urbanization.

I'd love to hear what you think of "Loud and Up Close". I've not tried to read that one as September 11 hit our family hard. (My college roommate was a new United Pilot and my dh was in the Pentagon.)

I love the idea of adding in Peter Pan. I saw that listed in a high school lit curriculum recently. I think it could be very interesting right after Peter and the Starcatchers.

I agree about children's books. I think there are many children's books with great value. Two of the three on my list hit that criteria.

As for Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, I have to first say I haven't finished it. However, it makes me laugh and cry. The ASD perspective that lacks understanding of so many things. The randomness of thoughts and jumping from one thing to the next. Dealing with loss amidst confusion. It is hard to follow at times, just like the world is for an ASD child. I think it would be extremely hard to read if you were too close to 9/11, but I find it compelling.

I love the idea of adding in Peter Pan. I saw that listed in a high school lit curriculum recently. I think it could be very interesting right after Peter and the Starcatchers.

I agree about children's books. I think there are many children's books with great value. Two of the three on my list hit that criteria.

As for Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, I have to first say I haven't finished it. However, it makes me laugh and cry. The ASD perspective that lacks understanding of so many things. The randomness of thoughts and jumping from one thing to the next. Dealing with loss amidst confusion. It is hard to follow at times, just like the world is for an ASD child. I think it would be extremely hard to read if you were too close to 9/11, but I find it compelling.

Are you familiar with The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon (accomplished Sci Fi author)?  It also relates to autism spectrum.  IIRC, Moon's son has autism.

• Like 1