Menu

Science reading books for small kids

visitor

Dear all, my 2 boys really love science. I am searching for reading books for them. We live in Belguim so we do not have a big English library. My 2 boys are 4 years and 6 years old. DS4 loves robots. DS6 loves inventions. We already do science projects and Singapore Science.

I don't know if you can get these books where you are but we LOVE the "Let's Read and Find Out" Series of science books I get mine from Amazon. Many of them discuss a topic and then offer suggestions for further reading and even an experiment you can try. 

Some other books I love to use along with this series are books written by Gail Gibbons. 

I don't know if that helps you. 

This is what I am using right now for my five year old. 

• Like 4

DK leveled readers have great non-fiction books... Level 1 would be good for a reader ... although I do think they would be challenging for a brand new reader.  My middle guy is a late bloomer and at age 7 is enjoying the Scholastic's Guided Science Readers because he is able to read them to himself with just a little bit of help.

Usborne has a great series called Beginners that has many nonfiction titles. They also have a Story of Inventions and a See Inside Inventions.

Let's Read and Find Out is a wonderful series, as is the Robert Wells science series.

For fun they might enjoy the picture books "Coppernickel, The Invention", "Rosie Revere, Engineer", and "The Most Magnificent Thing".

I would suggest DK books as well. Eyewitness also has a fine collection. 

My kids were big fans of illustrated encyclopedias. The New Way Things Work was a favorite. Looks like there's quite a few to choose from and good ideas to look from that amazon page. 

I wish I had found Brown Paper Bag books before my kids were too old to enjoy them. So many interesting things to explore! 

ETA: Oh goodness! Didn't even think of Magic School Bus books (until the poster below me posted)! 

• Like 1

The Magic Treehouse research guides have good science and history, though they may be a little over the heads of your crew just yet. They are short chapter books, meant as companions to the Magic Treehouse titles, but I found they stood on their own quite solidly. DD read several the year she was 7. You could read them aloud. Gail Gibbons has written good science picture books for those ages, and the One Small Square series covers quite a few habitats.

• Like 1

Can you use free Google Books or Archive.org in Belgium? If you can, I can start listing free vintage books, if you are interested.

Otherwise The Baldwin Project is working on putting vintage books on webpages as well, for anyone to read. The science books have more of a story than straight out facts, but they hold my kids' interest. You could try Among the (Farmyard, Forest, Meadow, Night, Pond) People, Seed-Babies, The Burgess Bird Book for Children, and By Pond and River. Just search the page for science or nature.

• Like 1

I don't know if you can get these books where you are but we LOVE the "Let's Read and Find Out" Series of science

Some other books I love to use along with this series are books written by Gail Gibbons.

We second these books but also books by Selsan one is Gregs microscope, see through the forest. Also like burgess books and would check out some books from yesterdays classics. Good ones there too. HTH

• Like 1

but also books by Selsan one is Gregs microscope, see through the forest. Also like burgess books and would check out some books from yesterdays classics. Good ones there too. HTH

I have some of Millicent E. Selsam's books in my shopping cart at Amazon. It is sad that a lot of them are out of print.