Menu

Classical education~ancient lit, does this book exist...

Is there a book for either me as a teacher of for the student that teaches the background behind ancient lit? For example, what is an epic poem? What is the epic hero? What are the elements of the epic poem? What is the difference between Greek tragedy & comedy? What is the background behind Greek drama?

A simple, explanatory book would be much easier than me researching all this on my own.

Michelle,

Someone on these boards the other day posted a link to a great website. They were linking some information on Herodotus, but there were lesson plans for many other topics. I have not had much time to explore it, but I did print off some information on epic poetry. The web address on my printouts is

http://edsitement.neh.gov

The lesson plans were under a topic called "A Story of Epic Proportions: What makes a Poem an Epic?" I also went to a glossary page and printed off the definition of Epic. It had some good info.

It's not a book, but it looks pretty interesting.

HTH

Anissa, this is excellent. Here's a link to the exact that lesson in case anyone needs it: http://edsitement.neh.gov/view_lesson_plan.asp?id=587

I also ordered the WEM from my library.

I began reading Aristotle's Poetics last night (found it at the library after seeing it recommended here). It is very helpful and not too hard to read. It includes info on epics, tragedies & comedies.

If you can find a copy of C.S. Lewis' "Preface to Paradise Lost", it will provide much helpful information. He has one whole lecture/chapter on the difference between primary and secondary epic (primary - Odyssey, Illiad, Beowulf, secondary - Aeneid, Paradise Lost, Divine Comedy)

Poetics is a good read and will help you establish a lot of groundwork for Greek drama. Another good one to read is (something like) Poetics for Screenwriters, in which a modern day screenwriter dissects Aristotle's "Poetics" and shows how many modern day films still embody these principles. We had a great time talking about favorite movies and how they did or did not conform to the guidelines Aristotle sets forth and if doing so was to their betterment or detriment.

I have neer looked at Cyndy Shearer 's (Greenleaf Press) guide to ancient literature though I have always wanted to.

Put it on Susan's list to write some day!

Kate in Seattle