Menu

How many levels of AAR/AAS do you have going successfully?

mmasc

Tell me if this is doable, or will drive me over the edge of sanity. :)

--Oldest DS will be using AAS 5 in the fall. We've used it since level 1 and enjoy it. We will go all the way through to level 7 with him.

--Middle DS will begin AAS 1 this fall. (He will be using Dancing Bears for reading)

--youngest DS turns 5 in September. He completed AAR Pre-1 almost a year ago. We didn't move on then bc he just wasn't ready. I think he is now, but I'm hesitant to add a THIRD 'All About' program.

So, is this crazy? Or are you doing it in your home smoothly? I have other phonics resources I *could* use, but this just seems so easy to implement.

Tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly. If you have 'the good', please tell me how you do it too. ;)

Thanks!

Last year I had two levels of spelling and two levels of reading between 3 kids. This year we will have three levels of spelling and two levels of reading. My oldest will finish AAS level 7 this fall. I am not the least bit hesitant about adding a 5th. It works well for us.

1) Letter tiles -  My kids almost never touch them. I use them when teaching the lesson, and the kids use them for syllable division exercises. Other than that, they spell on the whiteboard.  

2) Phrases/sentences - For AAS I split the phrases/sentences up and do a few each day. I generally spend about 3 days per lesson once we are out of AAS 1. On day 1 we will do the last few sentences of the previous lesson, teach the new lesson and read over the words. On day 2 we will do 1/3 of the sentences from new lesson and spell the new words on the board. On day 3 we will do 1/3 of the sentences, spell the additional words and do the writing station. On the 4th day we start the cycle again.

3) Review Cards - Once the key, phonogram and sound cards are largely mastered, we tackle them one to two stacks a day. On day 1 we do phonogram and key cards. On day 2 we do word cards and on day 3 we do sound cards.

• Like 2

Thanks SevenDaisies! I appreciate your detail in how you make it work. It sounds like it's certainly doable to have a few levels going.

Also, are the AAR tiles the same? I have them for AAS so I'm wondering if I would just need the AAR 1 level set, not interactive set too.

Anyone else have stories about running several levels in your home? :)

• Like 1

Also, are the AAR tiles the same? I have them for AAS so I'm wondering if I would just need the AAR 1 level set, not interactive set too.

Yes, the tiles are the same, so you won't need another interactive kit, just the reading divider cards. Optional items would include the box or stickers for the progress charts. You can find the individual kit items listed at the bottom of the Reading Interactive Kit page. 

I only have 2 kids, so the most I had going at once was 2 spelling levels. When it comes to reading, I think no matter what you use, you'll want to spend 15-20 minutes a day on it...it's hard not to do that one on one and be effective. Use what works for you!

• Like 1

We have had three levels running several times. One year two levels of AAS and one AAR. Last year two levels of AAR and one AAS....it is definitely doable. The phonics has to be parent intensive no matter what you use so that doesn't matter. We did switch my oldest to an independent spelling after AAS 4 to make things easier for me...but I have questioned that decision many times...

• Like 1

We have 2 levels plus one kid in Barton (also very teacher intensive).  What has worked for us is to make some of it independent.  I rotate between kids and while they are waiting for me they have a sheet with their newest words and most commonly mis-spelled words (I write the 10 words they are to study on top of the page on Sundays).  They then go down a check list of independent activities: copy each word in print and cursive, write a sentence with two words, jump on the tramp while chanting the correct spelling, flip the paper over and write 3 words from memory, divide the word into syllables and finger tap the sounds, etc.  

• Like 1