Menu

Composition Notebook perfect for Lefties

I usually use top spiral notebooks for my leftie. She loves to have a nice notebook and complained of having to look at the ugly brown back of spiral notebooks when we just used them reversed. Also, regular compositions always have the area to mark what subject, so it again looked like she was opening it from the back.

Well, today, for 50 cents each I found Poly covered composition notebooks that have the exact blank front and back. So, she will now match her siblings and still be able to reverse her notebook. (found at walmart in a 5 pack for $2.50)

It is the little things that make her day! And the price made mine. I typically over pay (in my opinion) for her to have the top spiral notebooks. This way cheap notebooks worked for all of them :D

• Like 5

As a lefty, I never reverse a notebook. I open the same way everybody else does, and simply write on the verso side of the page, that is, the one to the left of the binding. (Well, actually, I usually write on both sides, but if for some reason it's important to leave the back of the page blank I write on the verso instead of the recto.)

• Like 1

My dd and I are lefties.  We LOVE composition notebooks, but we don't find it necessary to flip them over.  We go from front to back like righties would.  It's pretty comfortable, and there's no metal spiral pushing into your hand.  I just bought a bunch of composition notebooks from Walmart last night.  Love them!

Whatever works for you, though.  

She hasn't reversed in the past but would be very aggravated. We started reversing this past school year and it makes her less stressed. She struggles with writing and dyslexia as it is. We just don't need any more added frustrations. It isn't worth dealing with it at this stage.

Yes, I bought some composition books for all of my kids today because they should hold up better than spiral notebooks, and my leftybaby (he's almost four) will be able to use it easily too, but I also made him some reverse opening booklets for drawing, using my ProClick.

Arliemaria, I think composition books are pretty universal, so they'll likely have them in a few years too. But you might want to get her lefty scissors so that when she's interested in cutting, regular scissors don't frustrate her. Fiskars makes a red and blue pair that worked really well for my 3yo.

Arliemaria, I think composition books are pretty universal, so they'll likely have them in a few years too. But you might want to get her lefty scissors so that when she's interested in cutting, regular scissors don't frustrate her. Fiskars makes a red and blue pair that worked really well for my 3yo.

And to be VERY CLEAR, lefty scissors are jointed "backwards" from the way righty scissors are. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS LEFTY-RIGHTY OR AMBIDEXTROUS SCISSORS. Those are just righty scissors with funny handles.

Many lefties who grew up with righty scissors do prefer them - either they cut with their right hand, or they're simply so used to them that whatever they do to use righty scissors is maladaptive when using lefty ones. However, just as many others struggle for years with righty scissors which are painful and difficult to use. Better to get proper left-handed ones from the start, I say. I've heard some people comment that "well, my kid won't always have access to left-handed scissors in the real world". I'm here to tell you that this is untrue. I always have access to my lefty scissors because if there's even the slightest chance that I might need to use scissors, I bring mine with me. (This pays dividends in benefits - mine are usually sharper and more tightly jointed than the ones available because I'm the only one using them, plus I can corner righties and make them try using my scissors to see WHY this issue is so important to me. It's hilarious to see righties trying and failing to cut along a straight line or, better yet, closing the scissors but doing nothing more than bending the paper! I used to experience that all the time before I discovered my beloved scissors, but I get the feeling that right-handed folks almost never do, so the turn-around is funny and educational.)

Gee, I'm sorry. In addition to scissors, I also carry a soapbox with me where ever I go.

• Like 5

And to be VERY CLEAR, lefty scissors are jointed "backwards" from the way righty scissors are. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS LEFTY-RIGHTY OR AMBIDEXTROUS SCISSORS. Those are just righty scissors with funny handles.

Many lefties who grew up with righty scissors do prefer them - either they cut with their right hand, or they're simply so used to them that whatever they do to use righty scissors is maladaptive when using lefty ones. However, just as many others struggle for years with righty scissors which are painful and difficult to use. Better to get proper left-handed ones from the start, I say. I've heard some people comment that "well, my kid won't always have access to left-handed scissors in the real world". I'm here to tell you that this is untrue. I always have access to my lefty scissors because if there's even the slightest chance that I might need to use scissors, I bring mine with me. (This pays dividends in benefits - mine are usually sharper and more tightly jointed than the ones available because I'm the only one using them, plus I can corner righties and make them try using my scissors to see WHY this issue is so important to me. It's hilarious to see righties trying and failing to cut along a straight line or, better yet, closing the scissors but doing nothing more than bending the paper! I used to experience that all the time before I discovered my beloved scissors, but I get the feeling that right-handed folks almost never do, so the turn-around is funny and educational.)

Gee, I'm sorry. In addition to scissors, I also carry a soapbox with me where ever I go.

I'm not a leftie but I get it because it seems all I can find these days are leftie scissors. My daughter has more pairs than I do of regular. So difficult!

• Like 1

LOL, yes, I get you. My baby sister is a lefty too. I figure they'll have to adapt to so much in their lives that I might as well buy lefty scissors and such when I possibly can. I didn't want his first experience with school supplies to be frustrating, so I got him these, which have worked very well for him. Like night and day over righty scissors, even given that at not quite three, he wasn't too coordinated with scissors yet anyway. http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Inch-Left-handed-Pointed-tip-Scissors/dp/B0020MLI4S. (The picture is reversed, but the ones we got are true lefty scissors, with the left blade up. I happened to see the same ones at WalMart this afternoon too.)

• Like 1