Menu

Using Latin To Fulfill A Foreign Language Requirement

Is Latin Acceptable As A Foreign Language For High School Admission?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. If Latin was the only foreign language your child studied in high school, were they granted admission to a 4-year university based on that langauge alone?

• Yes, all colleges we applied to accepted Latin as a foreign langauge.
    • Only less than half of the colleges we applied to accepted Latin as a foreign langauge.
    • Yes, but only 1 college accepted Latin as a foreign language.
    • No, Latin was not accepted as a foreign language for admission to university.

I'll be adding a poll soon.

This question was sparked by a thread on the General Education board where someone said Latin was not accepted as a language that met foreign language requirements for college admission.  The few colleges I have looked at do accept it, but I was wondering if it is commonly accepted as meeting the foreign language requirement from high school to a 4 year college.  So please answer the poll only if your child studied Latin as their only high school foreign language, and if they applied to a four-year college.  I'd be interested in hearing which colleges accepted Latin, also, if you don't mind.

From what I understand it is usually accepted for having fulfilled the high school requirement.  However, most colleges require a modern foreign language during the college course of study so for high school Latin the student may get credit as elective i.e s/he took AP Latin but not foreign language.  When I started to study here in the US I was not allowed to substitute German because it was my native language, French because I had more than five years in high school and Latin because it was not a modern language.  I sat through two years of Spanish simply to fulfill that requirement.  

• Like 1

This thread may be of interest.  What Colleges Do Not Accept Latin for College Admissions

The only one that we were able to come up with then was the Air Force Academy.  I have since seen comments from homeschoolers who were admitted to USAFA with Latin (though if that were my kid's dream school, I would have them take a modern language because admissions is so competitive).

I think the prudent caution to be aware of the fact that some colleges might want a modern, spoken language morphed in some presentations to mean that Latin would create a stumbling block in many cases.

• Like 1

This question comes up around here from time to time.  My understanding is that it's rare for a college not to accept Latin as fulfilling an admissions requirement for high school coursework.  College degree requirements are a separate matter.  Some older threads:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/453186-colleges-accepting-latin-as-foreign-langauge-requirement/

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/506012-what-colleges-do-not-accept-latin-for-admissions/

FWIW, Latin was the only language I studied in high school and I was accepted at a selective university.  My dd is starting at a private high school this fall and will be taking Latin as her foreign language.

• Like 1

That link was helpful, thanks!

This thread may be of interest.  What Colleges Do Not Accept Latin for College Admissions

The only one that we were able to come up with then was the Air Force Academy.  I have since seen comments from homeschoolers who were admitted to USAFA with Latin (though if that were my kid's dream school, I would have them take a modern language because admissions is so competitive).

I think the prudent caution to be aware of the fact that some colleges might want a modern, spoken language morphed in some presentations to mean that Latin would create a stumbling block in many cases.

I have a student who has completed her sophomore year at a classical ed private school, and yes -- Latin is completely acceptable as a foreign language when entering college. I have been on faculty at that school for eight years and have seen many, many graduates go on to colleges and university based on completing 3 years of Latin and one year of Greek. They've done extremely well.

• Like 1