Menu

Help me spend money I MIGHT get from the state! Update- Got it!

Update - Got approved today! I've emailed them to clarify some as to what qualifies and what doesn't. 

Florida has a fairly new "scholarship" program for K-12th, for children with special needs that are NOT in the public school system. One of the qualifying diagnoses is Asperger's, which my son has. He would be eligible for almost $10,000 in money a YEAR for the rest of highschool if he gets it. It's first come first serve, we will know in a couple of weeks. Money can be spent on private school, curriculum, school supplies, software that is educational, etc. Looks like lab equipment as well. Materials don't have to be secular, for instance Sonlight is preapproved with no problem. So, this would open up a lot of things I hadn't considered previously, as I was shopping on a budget. 

Keep in mind my son is smart, gifted even according to IQ, but has ADHD that is unmedicated (he continues to refuse to try meds), and he has Asperger's as well. Executive functioning leaves MUCH to be desired. He is still finishing up Algebra 2 with teaching textbooks, and won't finish until end of September. Not because he doesn't get it, he has a high B, but because he doesn't DO IT without me sitting on him making him do it. (he also started late, as he did almost a semester in public school to try it out, then started on online math class, then switched to TT). He liked Teaching Textbooks, so I'm assuming I'll get that for Geometry as well. He doesn't want a different math class. 

That leaves Biology (I have a used Miller Levine Dragonfly book that was cheap, and the virtual labs and course plan and tests for Kolbe, but if I am spending free money I can switch), American History (planning on Catholic Textbook Projects I think, but that book isn't out yet, or Bookshark 8), American Literature or some other English (probably do my own lit, but if he has that money will outsource writing to some other place), and I don't know what else. He will dual enroll for one class, so that money will cover textbooks (he gets free tuition). 

Any other thoughts? I'm thinking an Encyclopedia set, lab equipment, ??

• Like 3

I would definitely not spend money on encyclopedias. Outdated before they are done printing.

I would hire a private tutor for foreign language, the one subject I find it impossible to homeschool successfully.

And, if his situation allows, spend money on tuition for dual enrollment courses if he is college bound. That's lots of free credit hours.

And upgrade the technology. Get a good professional tablet.

• Like 4

In my dream world:

1. get him a good pc if he doesn't have one

2. get dictation software & a nice headset if he doesn't have one and has problems writing on his own

3. get outside tutors for foreign language if that's something you need to do/want to do

4. lab kits for sure

5. outside therapies--social skills, EF training (CogMed!), whatever you need to help get him prepared for post HS life

• Like 3

I would definitely not spend money on encyclopedias. Outdated before they are done printing.

I would hire a private tutor for foreign language, the one subject I find it impossible to homeschool successfully.

And, if his situation allows, spend money on tuition for dual enrollment courses if he is college bound. That's lots of free credit hours.

And upgrade the technology. Get a good professional tablet.

They won't pay for part time tutoring at this time. (that may change in the future.)

Dual Enrollment here is free for homeschoolers, he's already planning to take a course in the fall and spring (10th grade) then more courses per semester Jr. and Sr. year. Books are not free though, so this money can pay for his books and such, which is a good thing. 

Yes, if it will cover that kind of thing we will get him a laptop, so he can use the same computer when he goes back and forth to his dad's, take it to Starbucks or the library to study, etc. 

• Like 1

1. Does he have problems using programs with multiple components (can he keep track of a text, workbook, and a dvd set? transition between materials ok?)?

2. What is your end goal for him?

3. What subjects are you trying to cover next year?

BTW--awesome opportunity!

Hmmm..well, he loses things constantly, so right now the fewer components the better he does. I actually just today had to order a replacement CD from teaching textbooks because he lost one. Sigh. 

End goal is college with little to no debt. Not picky about where, but he is very interested in Information Security, which not all schools offer. 

As for subjects, Latin (he blew it off this year and I just told him we'd start over next year. Using Latin Alive but thinking an online class, as much as he hates them, would be best as he needs more help than I can give), Biology, English, Geometry, American History, and that's probably it, plus one class each semester at the community college. 

In my dream world:

1. get him a good pc if he doesn't have one

2. get dictation software & a nice headset if he doesn't have one and has problems writing on his own

3. get outside tutors for foreign language if that's something you need to do/want to do

4. lab kits for sure

5. outside therapies--social skills, EF training (CogMed!), whatever you need to help get him prepared for post HS life

Computer is on the list, probably a laptop as he goes back and forth between my house and his father's house 4 hours away. 

Hmm, he types well actually, but not a bad thought. Will discuss with him. 

They won't cover part time tutors, or tutors for just one subject at this time. They WILL cover online classes. Latin is what he wants to take. 

And you know, he rejected and hated the social skills classes he went to (other kids were worse off than him), but Cogmed or soemthing would be REALLy good. Or some kind of executive function coach...where do I find that???

If he thinks he wants to go the IS route, he needs to be taking some programming and other classes now to make sure that is a good fit. Is he wanting to be a Security Architect or what specifically does he want to do? Keep in mind that a number of the higher level IT security jobs require a MBA to advance and communication skills are a component of the job.  If that's not going to be a good fit for him, I'd start angling him towards technical skills and certifications. ;)

I'd contact your local disability advocacy group for some recommendations of good EF coaches.  They are out there, and tend to work within either specialty clinics (autism centers that have psychs, MDs, OTs, SL-Ps, etc.) or within family psych practices. 

You know, as I have watched friends launch kids into the world, I sometimes wonder if it would've been better if life skills/EF stuff was focused on more than academics. I have several friends and family members who can do calculus with differentials but can't manage their personal finances, study for a test without support, or keep a job.  Really working on independent living skills HAS to be a focus along with the academic end of things.  It's easy enough to find inexpensive texts for a lot of subjects. Paying for therapy or software or adaptive stuff always seems to be $$$$.

• Like 3

If he thinks he wants to go the IS route, he needs to be taking some programming and other classes now to make sure that is a good fit. Is he wanting to be a Security Architect or what specifically does he want to do? Keep in mind that a number of the higher level IT security jobs require a MBA to advance and communication skills are a component of the job.  If that's not going to be a good fit for him, I'd start angling him towards technical skills and certifications. ;)

I'd contact your local disability advocacy group for some recommendations of good EF coaches.  They are out there, and tend to work within either specialty clinics (autism centers that have psychs, MDs, OTs, SL-Ps, etc.) or within family psych practices. 

You know, as I have watched friends launch kids into the world, I sometimes wonder if it would've been better if life skills/EF stuff was focused on more than academics. I have several friends and family members who can do calculus with differentials but can't manage their personal finances, study for a test without support, or keep a job.  Really working on independent living skills HAS to be a focus along with the academic end of things.  It's easy enough to find inexpensive texts for a lot of subjects. Paying for therapy or software or adaptive stuff always seems to be $$$$.

Yes, he plans to take some kind of technology courses for his dual enrollment courses. My husband is an Security Engineer, so has been able to mentor him a bit, and thinks he will fit into the field well. DS has attended InfoSec conferences for the past two years, made a few contacts, etc. He actually does MUCH better with adults (well, adults other than his parents) than he does with peers, and even his interactions with peers are better than they were when he is younger. It's like as his age approaches the adults that he always did better with, things get eaiser for him, if that makes sense. 

Will start searching out EF coaches, so far it looks like there is one here who is actually a speech pathologist, and they do pay for speech pathologists, so maybe? Will keep looking. 

Ok, just saw that as of right now, online courses are NOT covered unless taken through a few specific places, but they think that may change this year. Still, if everything else is covered we are more likely to be able to pay for online courses. 

Money can be spent on private school, curriculum, school supplies, software that is educational, etc.

Based on what you said, as someone who has had attention issues, I would spend the money on cognitive behavior therapy to address specific study skills, thinking skills, and coping mechanisms he can use in college and beyond. Some of those things get done much better when a professional is helping out. I would bill this as a study skills class.

I agree with regentrude's assessment that foreign language is an area where you'd want tutoring because unless you have a degree or are a native speaker, your son would be receiving an inferior education from you.

If I had the money I would also pay for a PSAT / SAT prep class, particularly for a child who is going to need extra support. Every minute counts and top scores can mean a lot of money.

Can you pay for enrichment camps?

• Like 1

Based on what you said, as someone who has had attention issues, I would spend the money on cognitive behavior therapy to address specific study skills, thinking skills, and coping mechanisms he can use in college and beyond. Some of those things get done much better when a professional is helping out. I would bill this as a study skills class.

I agree with regentrude's assessment that foreign language is an area where you'd want tutoring because unless you have a degree or are a native speaker, your son would be receiving an inferior education from you.

If I had the money I would also pay for a PSAT / SAT prep class, particularly for a child who is going to need extra support. Every minute counts and top scores can mean a lot of money.

Can you pay for enrichment camps?

I don't think camps, but I will see about PSAT/SAT prep materials or classes. He luckily tests extremely well, with no choking, etc. He has always done well on standardized tests, and got A's in school when he was in public school. Now, when he withdrew this last time he WAS behind, again because of executive function issues. The idea of a "study skills class" is a good idea. 

If he tests extremely well, then the money will be even better spent. He may have a chance at NMF money. If only I'd have known how much money there was, and how close I would be to getting it, I'm sure my mother would have invested in it.

If he tests extremely well, then the money will be even better spent. He may have a chance at NMF money. If only I'd have known how much money there was, and how close I would be to getting it, I'm sure my mother would have invested in it.

Yes, exactly. We are definitely hoping for that, and are prioritizing the PSAT. I will look into how we can make prep for that be covered. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

You cannot dual enroll like you can if you are in public school with this scholarship. You have to pay for the classes with the money. If you don't set that up, you, will forfeit the scholarship. Same if you use FLVS or any service through the public school system.

They have changed the rules so you can get PT tutoring now.

FYI from the PLSA handbook:  IMPORTANT NOTES REGARDING SERVICES FROM FLORIDA PUBLIC SCHOOLS INCLUDING VIRTUAL SCHOOL: ï‚· If a PLSA scholarship recipient takes courses or receives services from a public school (including the Florida Virtual School), the student would need to contract for classes/services. Those services can be paid directly to the district using PLSA funds, or the parent can pay and request reimbursement. ï‚· If the district reports the student for FTE funding or other state funding, the student will be ineligible for PLSA and this would jeopardize his/her scholarship. ï‚· If a child is taking virtual classes or using services from any public school district, to make sure he/she is not dually enrolled and at risk for losing the PLSA scholarship, the parent or private school must have a contracted private pay for service arrangement with the district or FLVS and must inform the district or FLVS that the child is a PLSA participant.

I don't think this is changing from last year.