Menu

HS credit Time or Completion of book?

8 members have voted

1. 1. Do you count high school credit by time (log spent on subject) or completion of a book?

• log of time on course
    • completion of book or course

Just curious do you keep a log of the time spent on a subject or do you only give credit after a course or book is completed?  I have always been a stickler about finishing books before completing a year however, I am trying to get off of my type a personality and trying to be more realistic.  I want to start combining some subjects too when possible.  Especially when you want to do so many different range of subjects.  When a course is not just a simple textbook and where you want to use multiple sources.  So how do you all count credits?  Thanks!

Depends on subject.

Subject where there is a certain expected content to cover (algebra, physics): award credit based on coverage of canon of material which may coincide with completion of standard text, but does not have to. I select which chapters from a text I consider essential. Most textbooks contain way too much material to be covered thoroughly in a semester/year.

Subject that is self designed (history, English): count hours

• Like 6

I didn't vote because your poll didn't have an option that fit. I agree with Regentrude. There are subjects that have expected content coverage. Math is probably the most notable of these. Either you have covered Algebra or you haven't. The time spent has no bearing on this.

There are also subjects with no standard coverage. American History can cover all of AH in one year, it can be spread over 2 years with more depth, or you could have a course that covers just the Civil War (although that shouldn't be titled American History). There is no standard for what is covered or with what depth. English is very much the same way. How many books to read or papers to write is completely subjective. Classes like this are reasonably based on hours. 

• Like 6

I didn't vote because your poll didn't have an option that fit. I agree with Regentrude. There are subjects that have expected content coverage. Math is probably the most notable of these. Either you have covered Algebra or you haven't. The time spent has no bearing on this.

There are also subjects with no standard coverage. American History can cover all of AH in one year, it can be spread over 2 years with more depth, or you could have a course that covers just the Civil War (although that shouldn't be titled American History). There is no standard for what is covered or with what depth. English is very much the same way. How many books to read or papers to write is completely subjective. Classes like this are reasonably based on hours. 

Makes sense!  I think I have been over planning this year and I can't think!  Thanks for clarifying for me!  :)

• Like 1

I didn't vote because I've used both. It depends.

If there is a general set of knowledge that is generally considered what should be learned for that topic (like Algebra I), then I go by completion of book. 

For science and history textbooks, I know that schools rarely cover more than 75% of the material in the books, so unless the book was written specifically for hsers, I do look through for the areas that I am not interested in covering. 

For self-designed courses or things like English, I either use hours or come up with what I think a complete course of study is for the subject and then assign credit when the number of hours or the course of study is complete.

P.E. is one that I used number of hours for.

I didn't vote; I've used both. 

You will find quite a few high school texts that aren't meant to be "completed," in the sense that they have core chapters and then additional chapters that you are mean to choose from - you have to choose, it isn't possible to complete them in a standard year on a standard schedule. 

This is when buying used texts with no teacher guide can really throw you off - dang, my kids are SLOW  :laugh: