Menu

Cracked/shattered screen on my iPad Air... :'(

ereks mom

Should I send it to Apple for repairs ($299) or have someone else repair it (no idea how much)? It's a first generation iPad Air (not an iPad Air 2) with wifi + LTE and was a gift from dh in the spring of 2014, which means I've had it about 15 months. I assume it's not still under any kind of warranty. It's not covered by insurance, so I have been very, VERY protective of it. Before today, it was in like new condition--not a single scratch anywhere and worked perfectly. Fortunately, it still works fine.

Well, today we were out car shopping. (And that's another story. A few weeks ago, dh was involved in an accident & my car was totaled. Dh did have minor injuries, but is on the mend and doing well.) Anyway, I brought my iPad along today so we could look up specs on the various vehicles we are considering. While we were looking at the cargo space in the back of one of the cars, I set my iPad down and the cargo cover fell on it. It was in a Belkin portfolio style case, but the cover popped open and it flipped out of the car and landed face down on the pavement. The screen is covered by a screen protector, so even though it is shattered along the edge on one of the long edges, the glass is held in place. There are a couple of long cracks that curve aross the screen. You don't really notice those unless the light hits it at a certain angle. It is still usable, but it looks terrible. 😩. So, what do you recommend? Get it fixed locally, or send it away to Apple?

I ended up sending my iPad2 to Apple to get a cracked screen fixed.  It was actually a good deal for me, as the wifi was spotty too.  They send you a brand new one....they don't fix it.

Just be sure to back up everything to the Cloud.

• Like 1

I usually get the AppleCare+ plan for just this reason ($99). It gets you two years of coverage and covers a cracked screen for $50 (I think). My battery on my iPad2 got buggy 22months in, they swapped it out no problem.

In your case, minus AppleCare+, $299 is still cheaper than another iPad. I think there are some people that have fixed it on their own here (I think), but that's more than I think I'd be willing to try. YMMV.

• Like 1

Yup, there was a whole article a while back about how they actually send you a new (or refurb) ipad, meaning you're likely to get one in better condition than yours was before the crash.  

Meanwhile, sounds like you need an iphone 6.  That way you'll have a big enough screen to look up stuff but still fit it in your pocket.  :D  

• Like 2

Are you close to an Apple Store? Go there, be very kind and polite, and ask what your options are. I've gotten some very, very good deals on repairs (which are usually refurbished replacements) at the Apple Store. They have a lot of leeway to make things right, and my family has benefited many times. Once they gave me a brand new, very expensive still in the retail box 64gb current generation iPod touch for $99 after my toddler son flushed it in the toilet.

And next time, buy AppleCare+.  It's only $100, covers all hardware malfunctions and 3 accidents for a $50 per accident copay.

• Like 2

Yes to AppleCare. It is broken :(

For what it is worth my iPad is dying and my phone is up for trading in October. I'll be giving the iPad to the kids and getting a 6+ to replace all my devices.

I would cry. I've had the old ipad 2 for YEARS, without and screen covers or protection beyond the magnetic flippy screen thingy. I'm sick for you. It sucks to pay that much just to use something you already paid for.

I DID cry!  Thank you for sharing my pain. I've been so careful with it, especially because I know that dh bought it to surprise me even though I know we really couldn't afford it.  :'(

I DID cry! Thank you for sharing my pain. I've been so careful with it, especially because I know that dh bought it to surprise me even though I know we really couldn't afford it. :'(

I get it. My ipad is my woobie. I love it. It's even inscribed with "Happy Birthday ______! Love, Your Family :-)" on the back. I don't WANT a trade-in.

Try crying AT the apple store. They once replaced my daughter's cracked screen for free, so it doesn't hurt to ask.

• Like 1